Back in a 6.0!! Wanna mod on the cheap

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
60 miles of flat corn country (nothing to block the winds) and 60miles of long but not crazy steep rolling hills.

I'm 100% positive I could get way better mileage out of it, but with a 2.5yr old and 5 month old ticking time bomb in the back seat I'm throttle down at 70mph haha.

EOT and Water Temp look about right? Delta is just slightly high I guess but in the wheel house?

Yeah, temps look good. May want to try flushing it really good, see if it drops the deltas down. 15 is the max per ford, so you are getting really close. A good flush may bring the deltas into line.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Ok... Back from another trip. Delta's seems about the same as before, will continue to watch. Max EOT of 224 on a big long hill

HOWEVER... Throw another wrench light/code. Happened right at a down shift on a big hill, ScanGauge won't pull the code which is annoying. I"m assuming overboost. (1) key cycle and it goes away.

The real kicker here, it seems to go into a reduced power mode, which made it damn difficult/dangerous where we were at.

1. Does overboost sometimes not show up and will it cause reduced power?
2. How can I eliminate this from happening?

I posted up in a previous thread about being disappointed in the truck, but looking back I think it was in a reduced power mode during that trip. I specifically remember the wrench being on the dash, I didn't pull over just to reset it (like I did today). I like the truck but am pedaling it to keep it from throwing the code. Thoughts?

Thanks as always for the help guys! This forum is a wealth of knowledge.

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
If it throws a wrench light that goes away it would mean its less serious. Like on my truck i need to replace the oil cooler so i get a wrench light after my oil temp gets to say 245. It shows up on my edge evo as po12f. Which is basically the oil cooler is faulty

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
Btw if you have a better scan tool.. forscan, torque or something of that nature i bet it would pop up. Its a soft code which means it dosent keep the wrench light on. Ive yet to have a overboost code so i cant tell you if it is the issue

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yes overboost will throw a wrench light and cause it to go into limp mode. It should store a code though, dont know if the scan gauge can/will pull it. May need something better to pull memory codes.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Yes overboost will throw a wrench light and cause it to go into limp mode. It should store a code though, dont know if the scan gauge can/will pull it. May need something better to pull memory codes.

Buddy at work has an SCT, I'll see if I can borrow it real quick for any memory codes.

BS Hauler

Reaction score
It could be a under boost code also for a sticking turbo unison ring. Mine would do that before I took my turbo out and cleaned and polished it. Mine would stick for a little bit and then let go and go back to working like it should. With my big horse trailer it would pull down the motor more than I thought then it would down shift and rev up the motor till it got back up to speed where the cruise speed was set. After the turbo was cleaned it run the way it should. Also my thoughts on the oil to water deltas. Ford does not derate the hp til the oil temp reaches like 252*. So that means that your water temp could be as high as 240* to their spec of 15* deltas. I don't buy that. I think that the deltas can be a lot more like 25* apart and be alright yet under a load like on a long grade. And yes my oil cooler is due. I have made trips from Iowa to Wy and back with the horse trailer weighing at 18,000# running 80 mph in 90* air temps with deltas up has high as 35* with 210* water and 245* oil temps. It has never lost any water out of the degas bottle. I think Ford is using such a low delta number for their own protection of liability. It would be very easy for them to build in a engine derate on a delta spread in the PCM if they were that worried about it.

Last edited:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Got my CTS2 PRO with some small GH tunes today... I'll be hooking up to the camper this weekend so we'll see if it throws anything and I'll be able to record it if so.

As for delta's, I partially understand/agree with what you say, doesn't seem unreasonable for one temp to jump up a bit during a big haul, but the important thing to me is how the truck settles/cools down once this large grade is done. So far I haven't seen over 225*F EOT on a decent grade, but it's by no means out west terrain. We'll see what she does! I'm excited about the tunes!

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Got it! Heavy tow is dropped in and running good, I can already tell the difference in line pressure just milling around town. Hooking to the 5er tomorrow, we'll see how she does!

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Bumping this back up, even though it's boring.

With Matt's Tow tune the truck did great. No wrenches, no limp mode, no nothin. We rolled on at 75 pretty strong. Mileage was up a hair, temps we're getting up there but still within reason.

I'll flush the cooler when I get a chance, are there any good write ups on this?

One other question. If I plan to go in and do nick nack stuff to it this winter, should I spend any time or money on a cross over fuel line? Help or worth anything? also any reasonably priced kits out there?

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I saw the most mpgs improvements towing. As to flushing. There is a lot of different ways, reasons and ideas on the subject. Ill let you make your mind up on which direction you want to go. As far as im aware there is a ipr piece that reroutes the water right after the cooler to which a filter setup could be used it could have also be used to back flush the cooler. There is also a device fairly similar from fix your 6 that i have that puts a garden hose attachment on top of the cooler at the inspection cover. It does make the back flush easier i will admit but has not to date saved my oil cooler. Although it didnt save my oil cooler i can pull the turbo piping on the passenger side and have it hooked up for a flush in probably 15mins or less. So it is and could be useful.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I saw the most mpgs improvements towing. As to flushing. There is a lot of different ways, reasons and ideas on the subject. Ill let you make your mind up on which direction you want to go. As far as im aware there is a ipr piece that reroutes the water right after the cooler to which a filter setup could be used it could have also be used to back flush the cooler. There is also a device fairly similar from fix your 6 that i have that puts a garden hose attachment on top of the cooler at the inspection cover. It does make the back flush easier i will admit but has not to date saved my oil cooler. Although it didnt save my oil cooler i can pull the turbo piping on the passenger side and have it hooked up for a flush in probably 15mins or less. So it is and could be useful.

Think I'll give it a shot.. I mean shouldn't/couldn't hurt right? My temps are good enough, but perhaps a flush will help them just a bit.

Latest posts

Members online