My experience with 6637 intake vs Ford AIS intake

JO9816

Reaction score
Hey everybody, just thought I'd give some information on the two different intakes, and my opinion on them for anybody who's trying to decide.

First off: the 6637 intake. I do feel it was better than the stock airbox as far as filtering goes, however, this sucker is LOUD. Especially if/when you tow. At first it sounded cool, but after a while it got a bit annoying to me (and I'm only 19). Another thing I wasn't a fan of was if it rained heavy, I could see where a little water had gotten on the filter. Overall, I think it is a great upgrade from the stock airbox, and if you don't mind the noise, it's a nice, cheap setup that filters better than stock.

Next: The AIS intake. I just put this on today, and have only driven about 40 miles with it, but I must say, I'm loving it so far. It looks factory, sounds just as quiet if not quieter than factory, and I'm positive it filters better than stock and just as well if not better than the 6637. The only downside to this kit was it cost more than the 6637 and install wasn't as simple. However, I have an early 99 so I had to buy the 99.5-03 intake tube for it to fit. I also have a different header panel since I have a 6.0 grille. Because of the header panel, I had to trim the header panel a bit to make the "arm" of the intake fit properly.

So to sum things up:

Pros: Cheap, easy install, will work better if you're going for more power than a chip, filters better than stock

Cons: It's LOUD

AIS
Pros: Filters better than stock, super quiet, works well for a chipped 7.3 (maybe works with more power too, I'm not sure though).

Cons: Cost

I'm by no means an expert on intakes or anything, just posting my experience to help others who are trying to decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barnbuilder

Reaction score
My 38R doesn't seem to spool up very well. I was wondering if it was due to the AIS filter and had thought of going to the 6637. If it's that loud forget it. Might have to go with the koozie in the fender.

sootie

Reaction score
I went to check my calender to see what month in 99 we were in but my smartphone buzzed before I found one...

JO9816

Reaction score
My 38R doesn't seem to spool up very well. I was wondering if it was due to the AIS filter and had thought of going to the 6637. If it's that loud forget it. Might have to go with the koozie in the fender.

My AIS spools very well, but I am still running a stock turbo. The noise of the 6637 didn't bother me that much making short hauls around town, but the long road trips sucked, empty or towing.

Jomax

Reaction score
Cool story....

We're just giving you a hard time is all. I think this has been covered 1,000,000,000 times lol.

Welcome to PSA.

JO9816

Reaction score
Yeah I kinda figured that, just thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Thanks for havin me here

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.