6.0 Alternator Harness

semmens3

Reaction score
Last week on my way home, the lug that connects the alternator to the passenger side battery broke just behind the crimp. I was in a bind 100 miles from home and used a random lug from the local auto parts store. I crimped it on the cable and headed home. I have not driven the truck since getting home. I was looking the alternator and lug over today when I discovered the stud and nut that hold the lug on had become so hot that the stud started to melt as well as the rubber isolator under it.

So my question; Does Ford sell the alternator harness? The harness as I am calling it would include the lug to the alternator, the alternator plug, and everything between the alternator and battery.

If not, can any one point me towards somewhere that sells the correct lug? All the places that I have tried locally don't have the right size.

Thanks for any help guys.

Zmann

Reaction score
something similar happened to me because Ford didn't tighten the nut
I cought mine in time and was able to clean up the crispy stuff and replace the boot

hit up one of the Ford dealer vendors on here ( look in vendor section)
they can get you the main cable but IDK about the lug ?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
That is all part of the main harness. You can buy the pigtail for the alternator, but the main lug, aside from replacing the harness, is only serviced aftermarket as you already did.

Zmann

Reaction score
time to just upgrade the power cable to the battery and use a fuse

semmens3

Reaction score
Do I need to utilize the factory wiring at all? Can I just by pass the factory wiring with a new power cable and a fuse or do I need to run a second power and ground in parallel. The ground going from the alternator mounting bolt to the frame or negative battery terminal?
Thanks again

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
You do need to use the factorywiring, as the power cable also feeds the glow plug module. Without that split going to the module, you will have glow plug codes, and if youre in a cold climate, issues starting in winter.

semmens3

Reaction score
Any idea on the size of the power cable? I'm trying to find the correct size lug? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online