Ported heads.

hucorey

Reaction score
Yes sir, it's a little infuriating that no one seems to have this info. I'll tell yah what fellas, If some one would build a set of bolt on Production Aluminum heads for this engine, I would jump on it. Sure prices would push to the 5-6K + with out a doubt, but I'd jump on it with out even thinking twice. Just my 2 cents.
I just might have a set by next year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Back in the apex of 7.3 development Swamps did a dyno mule engine build where they actually did it the right way.... they made changes one at a time and dyno’d the results. Some changes they also tested NA and turbocharged. Every turbo engine is NA once per acceleration cycle (or multiple for stick shift).
The results of porting were definitely worthwhile and showed up both NA and turbo. Been years but I recall 50 hp at lower rpm. Overall more efficient with no down side. Old timers such as Charles and hotrodtractor will remember this.

Who are you calling old? LOL Ironically I was just chatting with Chuckles last week about some irrigation issues he was having.

Yes sir, it's a little infuriating that no one seems to have this info. I'll tell yah what fellas, If some one would build a set of bolt on Production Aluminum heads for this engine, I would jump on it. Sure prices would push to the 5-6K + with out a doubt, but I'd jump on it with out even thinking twice. Just my 2 cents.

I agree aluminum heads would be nice but 5-6K is way low considering how small of a market it is and how much it costs to brink that kind of a product to production.

Hey Corey, do you have any more info on the Aluminum Heads that we were discussing here? Would love to hear more about this.

Aluminum heads these days would be pretty easy, and you guys are in the right ballpark. Quite ironically I was just speaking with another "old-timer" a couple of weeks ago about something pretty similar along these lines...... In 2007 or so I started designing a new 7.3 PSD head - 4 valves per cylinder and CR injection. That design is roughly 80-90% of the way there and has been at that stage since about 2009/2010 - which is the last time I touched it. I discussed the merits of bringing the design up to today's modeling standards and potentially finishing it and open-sourcing it. Not sure if I will or not - the basic premise still involves a ton of work in the real world. It still needs a dual/triple CP3 front cover design, would need new pistons, custom length pushrods are easy. I went ahead and designed/utilized as many existing and off the shelf components as possible - although most of them are not originally found in anything with a blue oval on it.

I stopped simply because the costs were going to get out of hand.... but that was a decade ago and most of the components now are readily accessible, and since 3D printed sand casting has gone mainstream it is pretty cost-effective for low production parts and one-off castings. I get things cast in direct 3D printed sand on a pretty regular basis now.

No matter what - I'm not going to make any decisions or do any work on it until the current 7.3 project in my shop is finished for a friend and out the door and he is happy.

hucorey

Reaction score
Who are you calling old? LOL Ironically I was just chatting with Chuckles last week about some irrigation issues he was having.

Aluminum heads these days would be pretty easy, and you guys are in the right ballpark. Quite ironically I was just speaking with another "old-timer" a couple of weeks ago about something pretty similar along these lines...... In 2007 or so I started designing a new 7.3 PSD head - 4 valves per cylinder and CR injection. That design is roughly 80-90% of the way there and has been at that stage since about 2009/2010 - which is the last time I touched it. I discussed the merits of bringing the design up to today's modeling standards and potentially finishing it and open-sourcing it. Not sure if I will or not - the basic premise still involves a ton of work in the real world. It still needs a dual/triple CP3 front cover design, would need new pistons, custom length pushrods are easy. I went ahead and designed/utilized as many existing and off the shelf components as possible - although most of them are not originally found in anything with a blue oval on it.

I stopped simply because the costs were going to get out of hand.... but that was a decade ago and most of the components now are readily accessible, and since 3D printed sand casting has gone mainstream it is pretty cost-effective for low production parts and one-off castings. I get things cast in direct 3D printed sand on a pretty regular basis now.

No matter what - I'm not going to make any decisions or do any work on it until the current 7.3 project in my shop is finished for a friend and out the door and he is happy.
If I only knew. I've been slowly working on a set too for the past 3yrs with a friend of mine. But I've got so much going on right now and hopefully this weekend I'm going to get some stuff moved to the new shop.

Going from 6500sqft to 67,000sqft.

Callies called me last week wanting to get together with some things too.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online