Truck lossing power then dies

Reaction score
Looking at buying a truck with a high pressure oil system problem. The truck start runs fine but the loses power and eventually dies. Thats all that has been explained to me about the issue. The sellers mechanic has replaced the low and high pressure pumps and it acts the same. What could it be? The truck is cheap enough that I could take it to a mechanic and still come out ahead but if I could fix myself Id rather go that route. I have had a few different 7.3s so I have a decent knowledge base on how the HUEI system works... Is the 6.0 much different? Thanks for any help.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'd run. If they went that deep and still could fix it... Run

sootie

Reaction score
it has a high pressure oil leak. Use shop air to pressurize the system and listen for where the leak is. pull the valve covers and fix said leak.

Similar to the seven three in principle.

Or...is it a fuel issue. Need to do some actual diagnosis

Reaction score
The truck is 5 hours away and Id like to generate a few ideas before making the trip which in turn means I would buy it. The seller doesn't want to put anymore money into it and the mechanic stopped there. I am sure the mechanic checked the simple stuff like ipr and icp which lead him to replave the hpop. What are the chances that the new hpop is bad? Are the rebuilt units known to show up and be DOA. I thought maybe that there would be a common known issue with the 6.0 that could be diagnosed from some of these symptoms.

Zeb

Reaction score
How long does it run before it dies?
Does it gradually start running slower and won’t take throttle, and then die?
How long after it dies until it will restart?
I have seen an injector issue cause them to run slower, and slower, and then die, usually with a few minutes of startup. Let it sit just several minutes and it’ll restart and repeat the process.
If that is what it is doing, you can pinpoint it by loosening the upper fuel filter cap as soon as it dies. If it blows fuel out, bingo. Also, if that’s the problem, as soon as you release that pressure it’ll restart.
If it is the problem I’m describing, you can watch cylinder contribution on a scanner and the problem injector will start with a negative reading, gradually get worse, and then move to the next cylinder downstream on that bank.

Reaction score
I am not a 6.0 owner but from what I have seen/learned from you guys on this forum, I don't think I would trust that the "mechanic" knew much if anything about 6.0's. If he knew a little why didn't he test the "know" issues of all 6.0s before just changing the HPOP? I could be off in my assumption but to me this has to many red flags. Usually when they say, I just don't want to put any more money in it, it means its toast and they know it.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
First off, what year is it? If its 05+ and they replaced the hi pressure pump, id be questioning the guy anyway. I think ive seen 1 or 2 actually fail, and replaced a couple as preventative due to the truck having a bunch of water in the oil.

I'm in agreement trusting some guys "mechanic" usually ends up leaving people with empty pockets, and no where near fixing the actual, typically stupid and cheap problem. It sounds a lot like a fuel issue to me, but hi pressure oil is a possibility as well. Checking fuel pressure isnt hard, you need a long extension, a wobbly, and a 6mm Allen socket to pull the plug for testing pressure. Then I believe its a m12x1.5 or 1.75 o ring fitting to screw in to adapt a pressure gauge to it. Air stesting is the same size fitting, but you'll need shop air, and something to close the ipr with.

Also, like a 7.3 make sure the oil is full, make sure its not stupid thin, or way the **** overfull possibly with fuel that could cause an aeration issue.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
Also, you asked about the new HPOP possibly being bad .....

It has happened w/ the 03 and 04 HPOPs, and repeat failures in relatively low miles has also happened with them. Some have lasted though, so jumping to that expense without cause is pretty costly and would be a big reg flag on the mechanic.

If for some reason you end up going that route again, I definitely wouldn't want a cheap auto parts store one either. Several good aftermarket choices (Adrenaline pump, CNCFab modified pump) , but they can get expensive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
It's an 04 with 130k. Honestly I am looking for a project but what I dont want is to have put more than a couple grand in it to get it going. I've never had a 6.0 but I know they can be a good motor if some of the known factory issuse are addressed.

Latest posts

Members online