96 power stroke

ken96

Reaction score
hello
i am new here and wanted to say hello and ask some advise.
i have found a 96 powerstroke that has been completely redone ground up.
truck needs nothing. the gentleman that built it was a kubota mechenic.
truck has 550hp @1200lds torke. truck has ladder bars for the axel slap when backing a trailer. listed is what was done to her
Borg Warner S468 turbo .9 A/R (Irate diesel T4 up pipes and mount)
-Rosewood Hybrid 238cc injectors, nozzles 100% over stock
-Beans diesel regulated return electric fuel system with Bosch 044 pump
-TS6 tuner with Tony Wildman tunes
-Southbend dual disk clutch
-Mishimoto intercooler
-Terminator T500 HPOP
-Comp 910 valve springs
-Diesel Innovations push rods
-ARP head studs
-Edge CTS with exhaust probe
-4" stainless exhaust (straight pipe)

truck has 200000 miles about 10000on components.
i do not need this much tork i do pull a log trailer maybe 20% of the time.
is it possable to "de-tune" and get me something more relable . maybe around 400 hp? i am looking for longetivity my hot rod days gone by truck has 5 speed in it
thanks sorry if i am lon winded
thanks again
i am a wrench not an english teacher lol

rusty1161

Reaction score
What other tunes are on the TS chip mentioned? Are any of those lower HP, possibly “tow” tunes?

If not, I’d start with contacting TW, 1023 Diesel or Swamps and see about purchasing a custom tow tune for your setup. That 468 turbo maybe the one thing you need to downsize and change out.

Rusty

ken96

Reaction score
i did some reading on the turbo, seems more like a "race turbo"
there is a fuel economy tune i heard. he uses it almost all the time including pulling a 28 ft travel trailer. i am concerned with the turbo to injector ratio

Magnum PD

Reaction score
You might like the setup. A good tow tune a you’ll be happy

superpsd

Reaction score
Plwnty of guys have towed with the 468. I agree try some custom towing tunes first before you change anything.

Arisley

Reaction score
A diesel is not like a gasser, the tune you choose will decide the power available. Tony makes some of the safest tunes in the worls.

Petro

Reaction score
That turbo and injector combo will work just fine, no need to change it out. As stated above, a good tune and you'll be good to go. The 468 is very responsive and tows very nice. I loved the 468, would spool lightning fast and pulled like a train.

Last edited:

fordman67

Reaction score
I love the 468 in.my combo. It tows great. What gear ratio and tire height are you running? If it's got 3.55 and a tall tire it might not be as good as 4.10 depending on elevation and actual towing speen.

ken96

Reaction score
Wow I am impressed ! Drove it home 3.5 hours at 20mpg torque and power are incredible and when the turbo goes and your foot is in it breaks traction and wheel hops in third gear . Hell got it might as well try it can’t wait to hook up my log trailer . Truck has 373s in it and stock tires . Which reminds me it has stock rims what is the largest tire I can fit?it has two leafs up front and are new no lift 7.5 wide rim I think?