2001 Excursion 7.3 shutting off while driving

tricketts

Reaction score
Has anyone had a problem with their engine shutting off while driving? What is the solution to this problem? So far it has cranked right back up but I am sure I won't be that lucky forever.

Arisley

Reaction score
Get two, one for the truck and one for the glove box. If you have a spare in the glove box, the one in the truck will never fail on you. If you don't, it will leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. During a thunderstorm.

ToMang07

Reaction score
Get two, one for the truck and one for the glove box. If you have a spare in the glove box, the one in the truck will never fail on you. If you don't, it will leave you stranded out in the middle of nowhere in the middle of the night. During a thunderstorm.

LOL LOL

littleredstroker

Reaction score
Does it have a.chip ? Taptalk and can't see Sig.

I wonder because when I installed my ts I used electrical tape to.hold it on, when it got hot the tape ripped and had wiggled itself to a point where it would randomly die, but start immediately
autocorrected by taptalk

Dslfumes

Reaction score

This is gospel. My wife's X was dying randomly, I knew immediately what it was. One morning it died on me while taking the kids to school. So after I dropped them off I went straight to the dealer and bought a new CPS and installed it in the glove box. It hasn't died on me in over 3 months now.

Arisley

Reaction score
Yeah, I have to buy another one, I helped out a guy on the road, his was out, he bought my spare for 60 bucks, I put it in for him. I was only going to charge him 30, he handed me 60 and told me to shut up and smile.

TARM

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Go to Advance auto and you will have to order it and actually type in the name as it will not come up on a general search: You want the Delphi HTS101 Cam Position Sensor. If you type it all in the search you will get it to come up.

BigAlsPSD

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor. Go to Advance auto and you will have to order it and actually type in the name as it will not come up on a general search: You want the Delphi HTS101 Cam Position Sensor. If you type it all in the search you will get it to come up.

Specific reason for going with that unit at $35 versus, $20ish at Ford or International?

I've just seen you mention them before and am curious. BTW HTS101 pulls right up without the rest or adding "camber sensor" LOL.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score

Hey Tarm, I see you always talking about the Delphi CPS. What is your reason for liking this one so much? Just curious...

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Specific reason for going with that unit at $35 versus, $20ish at Ford or International?

I've just seen you mention them before and am curious. BTW HTS101 pulls right up without the rest or adding "camber sensor" LOL.

Beat me to it LOL

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I know it is a standard delphi component, just curious.

I personally have never had a failed CPS, I've replaced a few though for others.

I know the original CPS on my truck went out at around 160,000 miles. The truck would start up and die over and over again. It was replaced with the gray Ford CPS. A few months ago I bought a used black CPS from Riffraff and installed it. Last week it started to act up so I searched my VIN and saw that the recall was never done on my truck. I brought the truck into Ford a couple days ago and had them do the recall. I told them to save the black one for me though, so the black one along with another gray one are sitting in my glove box.

hermantile

Reaction score
Old thread, sorry to drag back to the top. Will a CPS acting up throw a engine code?

My '02 died once last week. I was lucky enough to get the chance to push it out of traffic (solo)... and after sitting on the roadside for several minutes it restarted and has been fine since. No code on my Edge Insight, and no code found by local diesel shop.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Old thread, sorry to drag back to the top. Will a CPS acting up throw a engine code?

My '02 died once last week. I was lucky enough to get the chance to push it out of traffic (solo)... and after sitting on the roadside for several minutes it restarted and has been fine since. No code on my Edge Insight, and no code found by local diesel shop.

Sometimes they throw a code, other times they do not. I have had both scenarios happen to me.

Latest posts

Members online