So loud compared to a SD

kmanxj

Reaction score
Why are the OBS so much louder than the SD? I drove our 99 SD shop truck the other day and that thing is QUIET compared to my 97. Is it just the difference in injectors?

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
Why are the OBS so much louder than the SD? I drove our 99 SD shop truck the other day and that thing is QUIET compared to my 97. Is it just the difference in injectors?

The steel has half the fibers of the super duty.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
For the most part its the injectors, single shot vs split shot. And with both trucks being that old there is no telling whats in them. There is also a AE code injector that was used in cyl # 8 to quiet the crackling sound, it was done from the factory after 02 but lots of trucks had done the swap also.

Last edited:

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
There 16 years old what do you expect. Every single car or truck on earth was more clanky 16 years ago....

JD3020

Reaction score
I really think its a truck to truck thing. Honestly my OBS is quieter than some SD's i've been in, including 6.blows. I've also had several other OBS guys in my truck that think my truck is a lot quieter than theirs. My truck is just your typical 97 XLT, with a fuel system and big injectors.

superpsd

Reaction score
My truck is clankity until EOT hits 180 then it quiets down just a tad bit. I do want to put some better insulation on the firewall maybe someday.

Reaction score
They did some changes over the years to make them quieter. Everything from sound deadening for the cab, to changes in the engine block, to injectors. My 94 was much louder than my 97. Cheers!

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Another thing that effects the sound of the motor is who's tunes your running. I know a certain tuner with his tuning strategy causes the injectors to be loud. I like his tunes but stopped running them because of the noise.

Billy T.
[email protected]

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
Varies by truck really. My truck is much louder at idle than a friends 97, but another friend has a 95 and that's just a hair louder at idle than mine. They all sound different

Latest posts

Members online