Soft Sidewall D-Rated/8ply 18" Tires?

lxcoupe

Reaction score
I'd like to stay around 33" in diameter, and my truck is a daily driver and won't likely tow anything more than a car trailer. I'd like to find the softest 8-ply/D rated/ 121 load index tire I can find and make my size choices after that.

275/70/18
285/70/18
305/65/18

Anyone have experience finding a soft sidewall all-terrain tire in 18" sizes? The 16" wheel 6.0 guys have been using D-rated tires for years, to help with ride quality.

gotchadollar

Reaction score
Personally opinion, the Nitto terra grappler G2 is by far the best riding and best quality tire I have found, I used to have Toyo at2 and I hated they way the truck rode, they are damn near the same tire it that nitto is by far hard to beat.

Zeb

Reaction score
BFG All terrain T/A

I second this.
Had a set of them in 285/75-16 on our Excursion. Got 75,412 miles out of them. Next was a set of Nitto Dune Grapplers in the same size, and they went 65,946 miles. It has Nitto S420’s on it now in 305/50-20, but that is shorter than you want.
So far the BFG All Terrains were the cheapest per mile of any tire I’ve ever run.

lxcoupe

Reaction score
I second this.
Had a set of them in 285/75-16 on our Excursion. Got 75,412 miles out of them. Next was a set of Nitto Dune Grapplers in the same size, and they went 65,946 miles. It has Nitto S420’s on it now in 305/50-20, but that is shorter than you want.
So far the BFG All Terrains were the cheapest per mile of any tire I’ve ever run.

Cheapest per mile is actually not my concern, a soft sidewall is of primary importance. From my experience, the BFG All Terrains last so long because their sidewalls are so stiff! Would consider them if they offered a D rated version but they don't.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Cheapest per mile is actually not my concern, a soft sidewall is of primary importance. From my experience, the BFG All Terrains last so long because their sidewalls are so stiff! Would consider them if they offered a D rated version but they don't.

Every tire has a soft sidewall if you run low enough pressure.

sootie

Reaction score

I find them quite soft.

Every tire has a soft sidewall if you run low enough pressure.

not necessarily

Yes and no. If you fill an E rated tire to 50psi it will still be stiffer than a D rated tire at 50psi.

For example: a BFG all terrain on the rear of my reg cab 350 will go down to the rim with 0 air pressure.

I currently have been running a toyo m/t for two weeks with 0 PSI IN THE TIRE and it is only a slightly larger bulge at the bottom than the other three.

Which reminds me...i need to fix that tomorrow lol

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.