wmo/watf in a 6.4

fordman2121

Reaction score
Has anybody done it yet? Been running the ol 7.3 for years now with little to no ill effects. Im just still not sure about running it in my 6.4. I only run 20-50% watf/wmo in the 7.3 and I wouldnt run anymore then 20% in the 6.4. I want to put a fuel system on it first, airdog. I already run b99 (its been deleted) and I think that will help keep everything clean. So am I just a nut trying to take it to far or am I just another enthuiest about alt fuels?

Spatel23

Reaction score
I personally would not even attempt it unless you are fully prepared to buy/install an entire fuel system.

I think the pumps/injectors are too sensitive but again, just my opinion here. I haven't seen proof that it is ok or not.

Mdub707

Reaction score
There is no way I would put either of those through a 6.4.

There are/is a 6.4 running on 100% WVO though... (obviously not on a factory fuel system, a V3/V4 vegistroke is being used)

fordman2121

Reaction score
There is no way I would put either of those through a 6.4.

There are/is a 6.4 running on 100% WVO though... (obviously not on a factory fuel system, a V3/V4 vegistroke is being used)

You wouldn't run Bio but would run wvo?
I guess I kinda look at it: if wvo works why wouldn't watf/wmo.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Have ran 35% watf in our F450. No problems with over 11k. Now with that said, the ATF that we use is highly filtered and processed. If your just filer bag and or settling. I wouldn't do it.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Rodslinger just to clarify you mean a 6.4 f450 correct? My fluid is all settled out for a minuium of a week then threw 2 one micron filters then to a clean holding tank. But if I would do this I would add another 2 one micron filters after my clean tank just as extra protection. Im also glad someone else has some balls to try something new.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
Yes. My 08 6.4 F450. I don't trust settling and filtering alone. Not in that 6.4 fuel system. Mine goes through a centrifuge twice then a 5 micron then a 1 micron. It's up to you and comfort level on how clean your oil is but, I know mine is. That's why I wouldn't worry about it. We have even ran 20% In a 6.7 last few months. Doesn't seem to bother it either.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Good to know I'm not the only "crazy" one. That's awesome that you are even running it in a 6.7. I have looked into getting a centrifuge just never needed it with the 7.3.

Mdub707

Reaction score
What's the point of a 5 micron and a 1 micron filter after a centrifuge? The centrifuge should be filtering more than that... I heat/settle WVO and final filter to 1 micron absolute. Still wont touch any WATF/WMO. Not even centrifuged.

Rodslinger

Reaction score
To catch anything from the holding tanks and a "feel safe" I guess. If you don't feel comfortable using WATF or other alternative fuels, don't. I'll I was saying that I have with no ill affects.

TurboM700

Reaction score
What's the point of a 5 micron and a 1 micron filter after a centrifuge? The centrifuge should be filtering more than that... I heat/settle WVO and final filter to 1 micron absolute. Still wont touch any WATF/WMO. Not even centrifuged.

I will disagree with not running WMO/WATF over bio or WVO. If filter correctly WMO or WATF is safer then WVO or bio. The reason for this is WMO/WATF does not have as big of an issue with moisture in the oil like WVO or Bio does.

Before you question this let me tell you might back ground on WVO. Back in 2006 I converted my truck to run on either bio/wvo. Heated two tank system with custom HOH. My temps where 165 degrees before they entered the head. Spent alot of time on this.

During my testing of filtering setups I would send samples of oil of to the UofM to get test for debris and moisture in the oil down to .01 microns and moisture down in the .05% or less.

The set-up required to do WVO was more complex and left more areas for mistakes to be made then when I did testing on WATF/WMO

Set-up for WVO

Heat WVO up
100 Micron Filter
Centrifuge
1 micron filter
Settle for a month. That was the best way I found

WMO/WATF
Ran thru
100 Micron filter
Centrifuge (found to be optional)
1 Micron Filter
Right into trucks heat tank.

All this test took me about 2 yrs and countless different set-ups. All my test was done on good quality oils not sludge from the bottom of the bucket.

At the end of the 2 yrs I was burned out on collecting filtering and deals with the every day mess of the stuff and I end up pulling it from the truck. At this point in time the truck also went from being driving every day to only being used on the weekends to pull the boat or snowmobile trailer.

Wasn’t worth it for the 3,000 miles I put on a yr.

Now to answer the OP questions about running it in a 6.4l you can but I wouldn’t unless you are really anal about collecting and cleaning the oil and are prepared to fork out big money if an injector sticks open and melts a piston down.

Just my 2 cents from my expersnse.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I will disagree with not running WMO/WATF over bio or WVO. If filter correctly WMO or WATF is safer then WVO or bio. The reason for this is WMO/WATF does not have as big of an issue with moisture in the oil like WVO or Bio does.

Before you question this let me tell you might back ground on WVO. Back in 2006 I converted my truck to run on either bio/wvo. Heated two tank system with custom HOH. My temps where 165 degrees before they entered the head. Spent alot of time on this.

During my testing of filtering setups I would send samples of oil of to the UofM to get test for debris and moisture in the oil down to .01 microns and moisture down in the .05% or less.

The set-up required to do WVO was more complex and left more areas for mistakes to be made then when I did testing on WATF/WMO

Set-up for WVO

Heat WVO up
100 Micron Filter
Centrifuge
1 micron filter
Settle for a month. That was the best way I found

WMO/WATF
Ran thru
100 Micron filter
Centrifuge (found to be optional)
1 Micron Filter
Right into trucks heat tank.

All this test took me about 2 yrs and countless different set-ups. All my test was done on good quality oils not sludge from the bottom of the bucket.

At the end of the 2 yrs I was burned out on collecting filtering and deals with the every day mess of the stuff and I end up pulling it from the truck. At this point in time the truck also went from being driving every day to only being used on the weekends to pull the boat or snowmobile trailer.

Wasn’t worth it for the 3,000 miles I put on a yr.

I know we've had this discussion before. In the end it boils down to what saves you the most money I suppose. If I remember correctly you had a lot of issues with your WVO system did you not? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

I just can't stomach putting waste oils used to lubricate metal components that definitely get debris in them. Dewatering is easy enough. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Any of you ever get stuck riding behind a truck burning WATF for any extended period of time? It's disgusting.

Now to answer the OP questions about running it in a 6.4l you can but I wouldn’t unless you are really anal about collecting and cleaning the oil and are prepared to fork out big money if an injector sticks open and melts a piston down.

Well said.

Last edited:

TurboM700

Reaction score
I know we've had this discussion before. In the end it boils down to what saves you the most money I suppose. If I remember correctly you had a lot of issues with your WVO system did you not? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else.

I just can't stomach putting waste oils used to lubricate metal components that definitely get debris in them. Dewatering is easy enough. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Any of you ever get stuck riding behind a truck burning WATF for any extended period of time? It's disgusting.

Well said.

I never had an issues with mine I was just always trying different things to better my system. I think I might have done some damage to my injectors but I think that was my fault on not knowing what I was doing when I first started out.

I can buy filtered dewater clean WVO for 2 dollars a gallon from a local coop by my house. I go back and fourth with putting it back in the truck but right now I just dont have the time and I like my bed space.

Besides the actually collecting and filtering part of it. I was finding it harder and harder to get WVO.

Mike

Last edited:

Mdub707

Reaction score
Very hard to get WVO around here too, I haven't burned any in months. Took my whole system off as well, revamping and improving it. Might just sell it and put the money towards a TDI anyways...

fordman2121

Reaction score
I have no problem collecting the wmo as I already do it and I have more to burn then Im burning now in the wifes 7.3. Im not "affraid" of putting injectors in the truck if it comes to that, gives me a reason to go bigger. But Ive put over 50,000 miles on the 7.3 with the only side effect is idle smoke. And like Rodslinger said as long as its filtered I dont see a problem with it. Even WVO cant get "all" the food crap out and that may not be "metal" particles it will(can) still casue an injector issue.

TurboM700

Reaction score
Very hard to get WVO around here too, I haven't burned any in months. Took my whole system off as well, revamping and improving it. Might just sell it and put the money towards a TDI anyways...

lol this is what I did. Bought a TDI. Love the car and hardly ever drive the truck unless I need to.

rs7

Reaction score
I just recently got my TDI going, about 300 miles on it so far and I'm presently burning 40% D2 & 60% W85 (WMO) and since it likes that fuel fine in a day or two I think I will go to 80%.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Picking up a 2002 TDI this week I think lol. Still keeping the vegistroke for the time being.