H&S non vgt vs streetmax r

osiris

Reaction score
So I am curious if there is anyone on the forum that has ran both of these turbo set ups? I like the streetmax r since it is still vgt it seems that you can make great power and still tow heavy which I worry about since I have a 14k 5th wheel I lug around in the summer/fall months. I am also interested in the h&s non vgt kit as well, probably the 63mm since its not vgt I don't want my spool to suffer too much. Which turbo would you guys consider better? Does the Streetmax r have high back pressures or anything like that? I don't plan on doing anything else to my truck, right now it is ******d leveled and on 35s running GH SOTF tuning. The only other thing I have thought about doing is swapping to 4.10 or 4.30 gears I don't feel like I can ever get at the rpm I want and the speed I want with the 3.55s I currently have. I know ill lose some mpg on the hwy but seems like I will stay the same or even gain in town which is where most of my driving occurs. Thanks for all of the opinions guys!

gotchadollar

Reaction score
H&S FTW!!! Most reliable way to go. i run the 64.5 on my 2015 and haven't every though of going back to a VGT. Yes I lost my exhaust brake, but thats why they have tap shifters right? Pulling doubles I've never seen my truck get over 1000 egts, and never had to back down from a hill. Down shift before you climb and set sail to the peak.

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
Not to try and sway you one way or another......but, we have been testing some 64mm vgt turbo's here against an sx-e 64mm. Just my opinion but the sx-e out perform's the vgt all around. Spool up is almost identical between the two and the sx-e pulls harder on the top end with less egt. Hope that helps, and if you have any questions always feel free to give us a call here.

sootie

Reaction score
I enjoy my StreetmaxR. Has been reliable for me while getting thrashed daily. Extremely drivable, tows fine and makes great power.

osiris

Reaction score
Its also worth mentioning that I live at 6200 feet. How big of a difference will that make?

Nigel217

Reaction score
You cant go wrong H&S kit. I have the 64mm bell kit from H&S and it is amazing. Every part in the kit fits awesome and nothing but quality. I have about 10k on the setup with stock fuel and it drives great. From city driving to towing the 11k lb toy hauler I have zero complaints. Also sound amazing.
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/nigelmcdonald91/Mobile Uploads/20171201_172300_zpsnbncs9f6.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/nigelmcdonald91/Mobile Uploads/20171201_193534_zpsqjkbp6sy.jpg
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e45/nigelmcdonald91/Mobile Uploads/20171211_165957_zpshxnfpjxm.jpg

doo dah

Reaction score
I don't have the H&S kit, mine is Industrial Injection but it is an S363. I have had my kit for close to 50k miles, maybe more, and I wouldn't go back but I would go bigger. Truck does lag a little but not so bad it makes me want to switch. I have stock fuel and with TSD custom tuning put down 575 with a leak in the stand pipe so 28lbs was max boost. With the pipe now replaced I can hit 34lbs so may actually be a couple HP more now. I drive bumper to bumper traffic into work and home from work 5 days a week and it is not bad, as others have mentioned it pulls like a train once the turbo lights up. I have a 42' 15k lb fiver that I pull in the mountains as high as 10k feet and no issues. Have not had a modified VGT so I can't compare, can only tell you how my non VGT has worked out for me. Good luck and get custom tuning either way!

osiris

Reaction score
Do you know how the GH tuning works for non vgt? I use a sct device for my tuning if it matters. Forgot to ask, why would you go bigger?

Last edited:

doo dah

Reaction score
I had GH originally then went to TD. GH was a much cleaner tune and TD was very smoky when under the turbo so I went back to GH but the trans tuning wasn't good (I have a Suncoast 750hp built trans) so I went to Truck Source Diesel and had it dyno tuned and it is best tune I've had in the transmission by a huge margin. I would go bigger for more power. No reason to do it on stock fuel but would be worth it with dual pumps for sure but after spending a ton of $ on the trans I have to hold off for a while. As it is with stock fuel (2012) and the tune I can break the tires loose in 3rd gear so dual pumps and a 64.5 would be toot sweet and keep me from buying a sport car. LOL

doo dah

Reaction score
I went to their shop because they are local and the best PSD shop around for me. I think they do email tunes but you have to call them because I don't think they have an online form for anything but 6.0. I have H&S but I am sure they can tune on any platform out there.

Cpstanley

Reaction score
You cant go wrong H&S kit. I have the 64mm bell kit from H&S and it is amazing. Every part in the kit fits awesome and nothing but quality. I have about 10k on the setup with stock fuel and it drives great. From city driving to towing the 11k lb toy hauler I have zero complaints. Also sound amazing.

I am about to pull the plug on this exact setup. Just to make sure, this is the SX-E Turbo kit? What tunes are you running? What is the AMP Research module you have plugged in? Fuel or any other upgrades. Thanks

Nigel217

Reaction score
I am about to pull the plug on this exact setup. Just to make sure, this is the SX-E Turbo kit? What tunes are you running? What is the AMP Research module you have plugged in? Fuel or any other upgrades. Thanks[/QUOTE]

Not the sxe kit. Went with the bell turbo undivided setup. Love the way it drives. Also LOVE the way it sounds. Either kit u wont be disappointed. Got kit and tunes thru no limit. Wasn't exactly told who's tunes it was. Just that it was from a well know company. I assume h s. Amp plug is for the amp steps. Eventually I will get a duel fueled kit. Was able to dyno before and after. 40hp over stock with same fuel. Also takes a good long wot run to see 1300 + egt

Latest posts

Members online