Need Input on TD Tunes

doo dah

Reaction score
Just got y revised tunes from TD through NL for the addition of my CP4.2. Truck runs like a fat pig. Tons of smoke and EGTs are very high, even at idle. Is it possible that the tunes are VGT and not Non VGT? Seems to be putting a ton of fuel down low because the amount of smoke I produce even at low rpm is almost epic. I have every flat bill driving a diesel chasing after me. Wha experience do those of you have with 363 or bigger and a CP4.2 upgrade? It took almost a month for me to get the revisions so I wonder if it is even the right tune.

sootie

Reaction score
Just got y revised tunes from TD through NL for the addition of my CP4.2. Truck runs like a fat pig. Tons of smoke and EGTs are very high, even at idle. Is it possible that the tunes are VGT and not Non VGT? Seems to be putting a ton of fuel down low because the amount of smoke I produce even at low rpm is almost epic. I have every flat bill driving a diesel chasing after me. Wha experience do those of you have with 363 or bigger and a CP4.2 upgrade? It took almost a month for me to get the revisions so I wonder if it is even the right tune.
What air intake are you running

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

its possible, did you specify when you called ? should be an easy fix either way .

08Monster

Reaction score
its possible, did you specify when you called ? should be an easy fix either way .
I've been trying to get ahold of Cale for months. Thinking I'm going to have to switch tuners to get something done.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

NMSVT

Reaction score
I just recently had the new 15+ cp4 installed in my 2013 along with a s363 sxe and built trans. I’m running Tyrant tuning. I love the new found power no doubt. From normal driving I do not get any smoke if I baby it and maybe a small haze to accelerate when the turbo is at under 5psi boost.

As for the smoke.... when I put the pedal down... I can smoke out a whole intersection. This thing smokes more than my previous 6.4. I somewhat like it (a perfect tailgater repellent lol), but at times sucks when you want to pass someone and truck down shifts and dumps a lot of fuel waiting for turbo to catch up. Just the nature of a NON VGT? :shocked:

I might smoke more because of my altitude (7000ft+). What’s your altitude? any codes? Just throwing some ideas out there..

doo dah

Reaction score
I have an S&B intake that came with the turbo. TD tunes have been smoky compared to GH. My GH tune is clean as a whistle and I have to work to get under the turbo and produce anything more than light haze. Against my better judgement I also loaded the trans tune (I have a Suncoast built Trans) thinking he may have adjusted shift points or something to help with the non-VGT but still very smoky. It gets embarrassing at times to roll that much coal. I had to send my original files to Luke so he could forward them to Cale to revise so I have to think they would have only adjusted the pulse width to max out the 4.2. The files that were sent the first time didn't load due to a calibration error and that is why I sent the files originally built for the truck.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I have an S&B intake that came with the turbo. TD tunes have been smoky compared to GH. My GH tune is clean as a whistle and I have to work to get under the turbo and produce anything more than light haze. Against my better judgement I also loaded the trans tune (I have a Suncoast built Trans) thinking he may have adjusted shift points or something to help with the non-VGT but still very smoky. It gets embarrassing at times to roll that much coal. I had to send my original files to Luke so he could forward them to Cale to revise so I have to think they would have only adjusted the pulse width to max out the 4.2. The files that were sent the first time didn't load due to a calibration error and that is why I sent the files originally built for the truck.

yeah GH always works the smoke control to a much more finite rate. we always tell customers the GH tunes smoke less, and the trans tuning is really open to customer preference, as some like one, then the other may like the other. trans tuning is SO personal preference, and one tuner can never please everyone.

doo dah

Reaction score
yeah GH always works the smoke control to a much more finite rate. we always tell customers the GH tunes smoke less, and the trans tuning is really open to customer preference, as some like one, then the other may like the other. trans tuning is SO personal preference, and one tuner can never please everyone.

Suncoast recommended to not tune the transmission but I figured I'd try it to see if shifts would be a little different to avoid lugging the engine. They were schizo for a week and then became more consistent but no help on the smoke. I'll keep the trans as is to avoid issues with loading and unloading files many times because it that seems my TCM doesn't like that. Will I be looking at several weeks for fine tuning from Cale? Truck Source is local(ish) for me but I'm looking at ~$500 for dyno tuning with Chris.

sootie

Reaction score
Suncoast recommended to not tune the transmission but I figured I'd try it to see if shifts would be a little different to avoid lugging the engine. They were schizo for a week and then became more consistent but no help on the smoke. I'll keep the trans as is to avoid issues with loading and unloading files many times because it that seems my TCM doesn't like that. Will I be looking at several weeks for fine tuning from Cale? Truck Source is local(ish) for me but I'm looking at ~$500 for dyno tuning with Chris.

If you have the luxury of being close to someone who live tunes, it is a complete no brainer. The end result will be better than any "custom" tune sent from a tuner miles away.

imelmo

Reaction score

If you have the luxury of being close to someone who live tunes, it is a complete no brainer. The end result will be better than any "custom" tune sent from a tuner miles away.

I know a couple of people running the Truck Source Diesel tunes on their 6.7's and they are really happy with them. And like stated above, being able to get it live tuned is a major plus.

doo dah

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input. I know that going to TSD is the thing to do but convincing the spouse that I need to do this after I have already spent around 1200 on tunes alone becomes a challenge.

I will just load the GH engine file until I can get in to see Chris @ TSD. I know it won't take advantage of the CP4 upgrade but at least I won't have cars scattering behind me every time I have to give the truck a little throttle.

Latest posts

Members online