No start low icp

jake74

Reaction score
I bought a 2004 f250 at the salvage sell a couple weeks ago. It was in a light fender bender and wanted to fix it for a play toy as I bought it super cheap. After getting it home it would start after cranking on it for 20-30 seconds but had low power under acceleration. I hooked my ae scan tool up and took it for a spin. Icp would go up to 1400 when I floored it then would fall instantly to 650. I could let up on the pedal and would go back up to 1200 or so. I changed icp sensor on front right valve cover but didn't help. I then air tested the oil rails. I put 140psi of air pressure on the rail then commanded ipr to 0% and could hear a little air in oil filler. I then commanded it to 100% and air leak stopped instantly so I don't seem to have a high pressure leak. I then cranked the truck back up and it ran like always but then started to barley idel and icp fell to 450 psi then it died and wouldn't restart. It would only build 300 psi. I then pulled the ipr to inspect it for metal on the screen and it was clean so I'm thinking the hpop is ok.
I'm at a loss where to go now. Any ideas would be greatley appreciated.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Its probably the pump since you have no real noticeable leak. I've had seval of the early pumps that grenade and dont put any metal on the ipr. Also had a couple that i couldn't really hear a leak testing at the oil rails, but once i pulled the cover, i put air straight to the top of the discharge tube using a rubber air nozzle and found the seal on the pump was pushed out about 1/4 in.

jake74

Reaction score
I bet y'all are right just didn't want it to be the hpop. The way way it builds pressure is it will show 10psi then 50,100,200,300,then 500 and crank but took 30 seconds of cranking to make it happen. Now it builds psi even slower up to 360psi but won't crank. I would think I should hear a lot of air doing the air test with such low icp and slow building pressure if it was a oring or dummy plug. What is odd to me is icp pressure got worse after the air leak test.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
When you air test it, it displaces all the oil in the rails and stuff, so if the pump was pretty much dead it was starting due to residual pressure in the rails, injectors, etc... Once you got all the oil out, now the pump is too weak to displace the air and build pressure

pdumont01

Reaction score
I think ford parts are 3 year unlimited mileage.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

webb06

Reaction score
The little ball in the side of the pump could have came out. That would cause the same symptoms. If you're oil filter housing isn't full when you remove the filter I'd definitely suspect that being the problem. Otherwise sounds like the pump is headed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jake74

Reaction score
Update: I pulled the valve covers and hooked air to the oil rails again. With ipr at 0% you can hear lots of air at both heads. I commanded ipr to 100% and air stopped, then maybe 15 seconds later I could hear a decent size air leak. Sounds almost like it's coming from the lifter valley more towards rear of the engine. Amount of air sounds the same at drivers and passenger head.Where could the air be coming from?

pdumont01

Reaction score
Could be the discharge tube o-ring where the hpop cover sits on top of the pump, the tube also has a snap fitting that could leak. Have you checked the dummy plugs in the oil rail?

jake74

Reaction score
Could be the discharge tube o-ring where the hpop cover sits on top of the pump, the tube also has a snap fitting that could leak. Have you checked the dummy plugs in the oil rail?

I'm new to the 6.0. I've always been a dodge guy and still am but trying to branch out so forgive my ignorance. The dummy plugs are the plugs on top of oil rail?There are plugs on top,on the side,and some big plugs on the end. I sprayed some wd40 all over the plugs I could see and there was no bubbling. The air leak has a hollow sound like it's down in the motor not on top if that makes sense. Does anyone sell a complete reseal kit for the high pressure oil system?

pdumont01

Reaction score
The dummy plugs are either Allen key or 1/2 in square drive plugs in the top front of the oil rail. Remove them and make sure the seals arent blown out. Not sure on the kit.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If it sounds like its coming from the rear of the engine, sounds like a pump. The dummy tubes are in the front of the oil rails. If they are a 12mm allen, they are the updated style and should be good. If they are 10mm or 1/2 square drive repkace them with new ones. The stand pipes are in the rear of the rails, and dont tend to leak as often, but since you have the covers off probably wouldnt be a bad idea to replace them as well, same replacement suggestion as with the dummy tubes.

jake74

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'm going to get down to the hpop tomorrow and see if it has the updated stc fitting. Hope to find the sorce of the leak.

pdumont01

Reaction score
If you have the cast hpop cover it will not get an updated stc fitting as those style are not as prone to leaking .

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
It being an 04 truck it will not have an stc fitting that is easily replaceable. The stc fitting on yhose trucks is part of the branch tubes. However, it being an early pump, those pumps are much more prone to grenading, and pushing the front seal out of them. Mor than likely you will be looking at replacing the pump.

pdumont01

Reaction score
The stc fitting is part of the discharge tube not the branch tubes.

jake74

Reaction score
Ok went this morning and pulled the hpop. I found the leak after I pulled the hpop cover. It's a hole in the side of the hpop where the oil supply for the pump is located. I toke some pics. It also appears it has a snap connect fitting. It is the old style aluminum pump.

image.jpg1_zpsw6pzsqip.jpg

image.jpg2_zps1btswiz1.jpg

image.jpg4_zpsiai43x68.jpg
image.jpg3_zps1qmqbqxm.jpg

pdumont01

Reaction score
That's the ball bearing someone mentioned a few posts up.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.