Mechanically Injected 7.3 Trucks Info/Pictures

hucorey

Reaction score
That engine looks amazing. Well done. But I have a question(s). Those injector lines look incredibly long, assuming they are long for intake tube clearance? I notice the pump gear has a smaller gear on it, what will this drive? I also see you didn't create new valve covers like hypermax, but instead you have a spacer between head and valve cover. After the injector line passes through the spacer is there another short injector line leading to the injector? Again, great work. You ever pull in North Central indiana?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Thanks. When you are dealing with mechanical fuel injection, your lines all HAVE to be the same length or you will end up dropping a cylinder due to fueling issues. That smaller center hub is for basically infinite timing adjustments. We like the cleaner look of the valve cover risers, and if you want to run a single charger up front, you can drill/tap bolt holes to mount the charger to. The risers are there to make room for the 8.3 cummins top feed injectors, so yes, there is another short line under the VC's.

Yes, we will be pulling in Northern Indiana. The owner of the truck is not too far from the DeKalb County fairgrounds.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Thanks. When you are dealing with mechanical fuel injection, your lines all HAVE to be the same length or you will end up dropping a cylinder due to fueling issues. That smaller center hub is for basically infinite timing adjustments. We like the cleaner look of the valve cover risers, and if you want to run a single charger up front, you can drill/tap bolt holes to mount the charger to. The risers are there to make room for the 8.3 cummins top feed injectors, so yes, there is another short line under the VC's.

Yes, we will be pulling in Northern Indiana. The owner of the truck is not too far from the DeKalb County fairgrounds.
That is awesome! I should have just converted my dually to this and daily drove it. Lol

live life full throttle

gwunter

Reaction score
Why haven't people tried to use the injection pump off an IDI 7.3?
It won't move the fuel like the inline pumps will. I think the best db2/4 will only produce 200cc......and then there's the longevity of the pump issue.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
It won't move the fuel like the inline pumps will. I think the best db2/4 will only produce 200cc......and then there's the longevity of the pump issue.

What about for daily driving though. I imagine that they're alot easier to convert to a powerstroke platform and a lot cheaper than a p pump. Now yeah high performance I understand why they're not used but if someone wants a mechanical injected 7.3 powerstroke as a daily driver then why not a pump already designed for a version of the 7.3?

gwunter

Reaction score
What about for daily driving though. I imagine that they're alot easier to convert to a powerstroke platform and a lot cheaper than a p pump. Now yeah high performance I understand why they're not used but if someone wants a mechanical injected 7.3 powerstroke as a daily driver then why not a pump already designed for a version of the 7.3?
I don't know why they would be easier to convert to a powerstroke. Yes, the initial pump would be much cheaper than a p-pump. But unless you design a different way to mount the pump, that would be much cheaper than the current front cover mount, I don't know if it would gain much.

A stock 7.3 is rated at 275hp, so let's say a db4 will do 200cc. A rough hp:cc ratio is 1.7cc of fuel to 1hp on a 7.3, but we are talking mechanical injection so it's probably not that good compared to heui; so let's assume 1.5:1......so at 200cc you might see 300hp. Someone correct me if I'm wrong on those numbers.

So find a work around for the 3k$ front cover, getting injector lines into the heads, turbo relocate, buy your injector lines, etc.

If you got some ideas, let's hear them. I'm all for building my own stuff and trying new stuff out.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I'm not trying to argue or anything just merely wondering why especially for daily driving. Couldn't a good front cover off an IDI motor be used on a powerstroke? Or are the bolt patterns different? Now I'm saying all of this under the assumption (and I could be wrong so tell me if I am) that Ford used the same block to go from IDI to powerstroke just changed the fueling system (as in added hpop and went with the heui injectors) and changed the heads basically.

wildbill963258

Reaction score
I mean not everyone needs gobs of power to have a daily driver. And plus the injection pump for an IDI is adjustable and can be turned up some more to produce more power. Now I'm not sure exactly how much more it can be turned up to.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
BC25B25A-356D-432E-B9C2-252107CCD544.jpg

Not the same block

Latest posts

Members online