Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 7.3 Aftermarket

Old 03-01-2020, 12:17 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

So I contacted a couple of injector builders, both of them tell me that it is not a tuning issue. It is more or less just the way it is with 238/80s or 250/80's.

Really considering selling these and going back to stockish. I dislike any smoke.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:21 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Smoke on startup cant be just a "normal" thing with a larger injector can it? I would like to think smoke on startup would be caused by an injector builder cutting corners during the rebuild process.
Old 03-01-2020, 07:26 PM
General
Member's Gallery

A cold engine can’t create enough heat to burn all the fuel that is needed with bigger nozzles. Once engine temps are up, then the smoke should go away
96 F-350 RC 4x4 Hypermax Rods, PIS 300/200s G head tunes, S471, Beans IDM, ARP head & main, girdle, half filled block, DI cam, Dual IPRs, ceramic coated bowls, anti-friction skirts, Haldex pump over Stock pump, Diesel site High volume lpop, Billet intake Plenums, Dual SD pumps, Fluidampner, beehive springs, cosmetic head gaskets, Inconel valves, hardend guides, Ported and polished heads by me, home made RR fuel, 5 speed tranny, with SB 3600 DxD. Snow water meth.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:25 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PD View Post
A cold engine canít create enough heat to burn all the fuel that is needed with bigger nozzles. Once engine temps are up, then the smoke should go away
It does. Smokes 0 once eot is around 120-140 as verified by my aftermarket gauge.
Old 03-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt.Dan View Post
Smoke on startup cant be just a "normal" thing with a larger injector can it? I would like to think smoke on startup would be caused by an injector builder cutting corners during the rebuild process.
That is exactly what my thought it. Some tuners have said they can "fix" most of it I've got a cold start tune enroute, that may minimize it. . I've talked to the company that built them, and one more and they alluded to it being normal due to not being able to atomize the fuel, but for it to go on for minutes I am not sure I buy.

But at this point, I am considering going to some brand new Alliant Power stockers, or something like a 160 and calling it good.

Not a fan of smoke, and it doesn't do anything good for the diesel hobby.
Old 03-01-2020, 11:44 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

First of all you went from split shot injectors to single shots. Single shots may smoke a little more on a cold start. Yes many injector builders cut corners they use shims and some likely use low end parts to increase profits. Bran new injectors vs remans no matter what size new is a better choice. Not sure how much smoke your seeing. Some cold haze is normal. My 200% nozzles barely haze down to freezing temps. I am running B codes with higher VOP than a A code/hybrid. Tuning can help. Changing nozzle size effects SOI and atomization at lower ICP like at idle. Some adjustment to PW, ICP, SOI and the multipliers can help cold haze. Tuning is an art in dome ways. Changing one parameter can effect something else. For example increasing ICP will advance timing. Installing a larger nozzle without changing anything will advance timing, higher VOP will retard timing etc etc.

This is my 7.3 idling on a cold engine 200% nozzles at 400 rpm.
https://youtu.be/e_xCe2caUY4
1951 Mack A51T
1916 Federal 1 1/2 Ton

Last edited by superpsd; 03-01-2020 at 11:49 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:14 AM
General
Member's Gallery

Default 238/80's smoking on cold start

Motor has maybe 10 thousand miles on it after a rebuild but probably less than that. Sometimes itís completely clear like the pic sometimes thereís a very slight haze. My last set which was 175/80 would heavy blue smoke until 140-150 eot. Also on a tired engine that I have since replaced. It is idling in this pic.

250/200s.
GTP38R, T500, PIS 175/80s in the engine. waiting to see rods one day

Turned 200k miles 1/18/2015
Old 03-02-2020, 06:47 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovemeister View Post
That is exactly what my thought it. Some tuners have said they can "fix" most of it I've got a cold start tune enroute, that may minimize it. . I've talked to the company that built them, and one more and they alluded to it being normal due to not being able to atomize the fuel, but for it to go on for minutes I am not sure I buy.

But at this point, I am considering going to some brand new Alliant Power stockers, or something like a 160 and calling it good.

Not a fan of smoke, and it doesn't do anything good for the diesel hobby.

Additional timing at idle from your tuner will help prevent the cold startup smoke and haze.
Of course go through and check over your glow plug system for correct operation.. also
Are you running any oil and or fuel additives? What brand oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'96 RCSB PIS 400/400's Single 80mm BTS Twin pump setup Dry Sump Oil System designed for HEUI by Gray's Diesel Performance. Zero balance rotating assembly 16v electrical system/electric water pump/Gray's Diesel engine mounted fuel system with Fass 220/Colt Cams stage 2/Gray's Diesel piston bowl work and ring mods/Swamps tuning
Old 03-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

This all kind of puts my mind as ease for the 238/80s I want to do. Thanks guys
Old 03-29-2020, 12:17 AM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

my 250/100's haze/strong eye burning smell at startup no matter what the ambient temp is. Worse when it's colder. when warmer ambient temps it will clear after driving it a bit. during cold months it gets better but the haze never goes away.

Others have run similar injectors without issue. every truck will react slightly different. I just have the rare occasion bad luck with everything.

I also lost 2-3mpg from sock injectors to these 250/100s. I have contemplated for yrs about switching injectors but have never talked myself into it; the added power has been too much fun. It would be hard to go backwards. Luckily i don't put many miles on this truck in a yr.

best of luck in what you decide to do

PHP/Beans, 1023, SDK, GH tuned, 250/100 FF inj's, Irate t4 w/S369SXE, Swamps hvhf IDM, BTS Tranny, Strictly Diesel complete fuel system w/RR/fuel bowl gone,
Autometer Nexus Guages (TT,FP,BP,EGT), 4"MBRP, DieselSite Coolant filtration system/billet housing/HP X-Over line, Donaldson Blue(6637)/AFE BHAF, RR Boots, 26 row 6.0 Tranny & PS Cooler, LarryB's Denso Starter