New Android Head Unit

Kowboy

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have been looking at different options for a backup camera, Navigation and be able to run Torque Pro and Car Gauge Pro. I do not like any of the flip out 7" single dins that I have seen. I recently found this unit online: https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-2-PX5-4...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2648

I did a little digging and was able to locate it on Ebay. It has all the options I was looking for and then some. The screen is 10.2" and fits in a single din. It fits the OBS quite well.

Just wanted to share in case someone is looking to upgrade also.

Attachments

• Off img.jpg
    Off img.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 159
  • Boot img.jpg
    Boot img.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 149
  • On img.jpg
    On img.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 158

Kowboy

Reaction score
Update

I forgot to mention, the Ebay add shows the unit as 4 GB Ram and 32 GB memory. The title shows 64 GB memory. 64 GB is correct. You could find this for a bit less money but with Ebay there is insurance if you do not receive the item.

This unit comes from China. I ordered it on a Friday night and received it the following Wednesday. DHL delivery.

Kowboy

Reaction score
That's pretty trick. Is it pretty responsive? Slow/laggy radio interfaces annoy me to no end.

I have seen a few that were slow and laggy, but they had 1 or 2 GB of ram. It is not laggy at all, quite responsive actually. The screen is stable and doesn't vibrate or bounce. the CPU is a "[QUOTE Rockchip PX5 64-bit 8core Cortex-A53 Structure Frequency 1.5G /QUOTE]" and 4 GB of ram help speed things up also.

Here is a video I found online before I bought this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbELtYw6te0

I have not played any videos on this yet, or used the SD, or USB ports, but it has two separate video and audio outs to connect to monitors that could be mounted to the roof or back of the front seats.

It has two camera inputs also, so you could have one front also. I am going to use the extra camera input and mount one behind the toy hauler for backing into tight spots.

Most of the units I have seen do not have near the options that this unit offers.

I am quite happy with it so far.

jschildm

Reaction score
I appreciate you posting about this, and the info. I don't really love the looks of this technology (or flip up screen) in our trucks, but I use my truck enough I would really like onboard navigation and torque display capabilities. For this reason, I have a couple questions for you.

Does google maps have offline maps loaded so that it works without internet? Have you used this and does it work the same as a cell phone, etc?

Have you used torque pro on this and does it work normally/as one might expect?

I think it comes with a mic for hands free, are you able to use it in your truck? My exhaust dumps in front of the rear wheels, so between that, and all the rattles, etc, its almost hard to believe the hands free would be that clear for the people on the other end.

The only other thing I have found that seems like it might fit the bill was a pioneer single din flip up (AVH-3400NEX) that seemed to have good reviews. It has android auto, so a person should be able to display maps and the torque app that way. It seems like the android device you got has more features for a similar or even lower price. Someone with an OBS actually installed it in there truck and loaded pictures and gave it a good review.

Kowboy

Reaction score
I appreciate you posting about this, and the info. I don't really love the looks of this technology (or flip up screen) in our trucks, but I use my truck enough I would really like onboard navigation and torque display capabilities. For this reason, I have a couple questions for you.

Does google maps have offline maps loaded so that it works without internet? Have you used this and does it work the same as a cell phone, etc?

Have you used torque pro on this and does it work normally/as one might expect?

I think it comes with a mic for hands free, are you able to use it in your truck? My exhaust dumps in front of the rear wheels, so between that, and all the rattles, etc, its almost hard to believe the hands free would be that clear for the people on the other end.

The only other thing I have found that seems like it might fit the bill was a pioneer single din flip up (AVH-3400NEX) that seemed to have good reviews. It has android auto, so a person should be able to display maps and the torque app that way. It seems like the android device you got has more features for a similar or even lower price. Someone with an OBS actually installed it in there truck and loaded pictures and gave it a good review.

I will do my best to answer your questions.

The unit has a pre-installed navigation app that works quite well, there is also a GPS SD slot for different navigation options, I have not tried this yet. I installed the GPS antenna behind the rear view mirror.
You can use google maps if you have data or pre-download maps, the installed app has worked quite well so far, and the maps can be updated I have read. Not sure how that is done yet.

It works very similar to a phone but is a little different.

This works with Torque. Also has a version pre-installed. Android auto will not work with Torque, you can mirror your phone and get it to display that way. To much hassle in my opinion.

I use the OBDLink MX and linking it to this device was not very clear. If you get one and have issues linking your device I can likely help. I have my phone and the OBDLink MX linked at the same time with no issues.

The Mic. This works surprisingly well, My wife says she can hear the truck in the back ground barely it is not bad at all, better then my plantronics hands free device. Your mileage may vary.

My truck has the Roll-A-Long package with the overhead console. I mounted the mic in the console, closer to me and farther from the engine. I have a 5" exhaust also, but with a muffler it dumps in the same location as stock. My truck does not really have many rattles. :)
Also when I installed the new ZF, I installed a sound mat over the trans, each side of the floor, front and back, and across the back wall. I pulled latex tube in the door gaskets, and installed some newer (97) valve covers as they are double wall and quieter. I will be installing some sound mat in the doors this winter to see if that will help some with the noise also.

I really wanted a backup camera for hooking up the trailers, and to get the nexus 7 off the dash for torque. I did not use it all the time but some times it was in the way.

Here is the camera I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/NATIKA-Backu...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

It has a great picture and mounting options.

I was looking at this Sony unit: https://www.slashgear.com/sonys-new...d-unit-has-a-huge-9-pop-out-display-12587038/

A little digging and I found out that it will not work directly with Torque.

I did not like any of the flip up units as our dash has the radio set back an inch or so, this caused the screen to not set right in my opinion. Also the older I get a larger screen is nice.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kowboy

Reaction score
Sorry just a couple more items to add.

This unit has three USB ports available. I purchased this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078LXX3M...olid=3L40JQX2I1A2U&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

and: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0795DJXNH/?coliid=IJ7E893N658LX&colid=3L40JQX2I1A2U&psc=1

I have owned the truck 24+ years it has never been smoked in, the ashtray was only used to hold the cig lighter as the power port and lighter socket were both used. I installed the USB ports in the back of the ashtray and the double USB power plug in the location of the lighter.

It also supports a tire monitor system with pressure and temp, this would plug in to the third USB port. I have not decided if I need/want this feature.

Latest posts

Members online