EGT, how hot is too hot, and what can be done

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
The coolant that cools the cac is thermostatically controlled so an intercooler upgrade isnt going to make much of a difference in cruising egt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

GloverPlatinum

Reaction score
Possible to lower the stat in the cac system to make it more effective? No idea here just curios.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Maybe. But there's more to the secondary system than just the cac so I probably wouldn't mess with it, it is pretty efficient how it is.

GloverPlatinum

Reaction score
Maybe. But there's more to the secondary system than just the cac so I probably wouldn't mess with it, it is pretty efficient how it is.

Makes sense. I don’t have anything done to mine nor an aftermarket intercooler. I was just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Absolutely, the core flows way better and the upgraded intercooler does transfer heat much more efficiently, so although cruising temps may not be affected, under high load the intercooler will absolutely remove more heat as long as the secondary system can remove the heat from the coolant.

Using coolant to remove heat is extremely efficient, a2w intercooling is an extremely efficient process but using air to remove heat in the heat exchanger is far less efficient.

It may not be as apparent on a stock truck but I can tell you that NL CAC is a big improvement when you start getting into aftermarket chargers and fueling upgrades.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
I'd say your expectations for IC performance are being negated by the tuning profile. For my setup it's hard to see anything significant over 1000*EGT while holding 30PSI boost. Getting to 80+MPH is pretty easy without needing WOT.

There are two tstats on the secondary system. On the right side it's 140*F, and the left at 113*F, left controls the flow to the IC. I'm hoping to see what the summer brings since I added a Edge IAT to my MidWest piping. Currently I see a regular re-occurring delta between OAT and post-IC IAT of 15-25*F. So IAT/OAT of 80*, post-IC IAT will read 95*-105* depending on driving situation.

TrickTruck

Reaction score
Yes. Intake, full pipe kit, big intercooler, bypass egr and CCV d3lete all into a aFe 5" w/ muffler.

Attachments

• silver.jpg
    silver.jpg
    705.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.