hydra tuning -modified valve body vs non

n54power

Reaction score
Yes I've searched but no real answers.

Im.seeing a modified valve body option for each tune. Is there a benefit or downside to this.
I have a built trans but I'm not sure on the valve body used
Since the standard tune would increase line pressure, would this be a a safe option?

79jasper

Reaction score
Imo, if a trans is "built," theoretically it should have a "modified" valve body.
You don't know who built the trans, nor what they did to it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
While I rebuilt my own 4r100 and use the modified valve body (transgo tugger) tunes, I've often wondered how much line pressure php has in the stock tunes and if it would be detrimental to a modified transmission. Maybe Mark K or PHP will chime in?

n54power

Reaction score
The trans was built shortly before I bought the truck.goerend parts were used. The trans has about on it.
I'm religious on maintenance so it's healthy. I have been thinking about updating the valve body.
Going from a php FU with no valvebody tune options to the hydra with them I added a each to it.
Using the standard and modified I'll see how it deives

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
When I installed the trango tugger kit Matt just said to see how it drove before getting a reburn. It drove and shifted great so I just left it
When I sent my chip in for the injectors- standard TS chip, I told them about the Trans mods but it shifts just like it did so I don't know if they changed much..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I would start with the standard, non valve body tunes, and see where that gets you. Shift firmness is really the difference between the tunes and we have found quite often with John Woods transmissions and PHP tuning that the standard tunes work AWESOME. We rarely install the valve body tunes, I like the crisp tight shifts that you can feel.

Carolina444

Reaction score
I know the JW valve bodies that you buy from the vendors are setup for the tuner to add the line pressure desired. I tried the php "modified vb." tune and it shifted very soft and slow.

Gearhead

Reaction score
the main thing on the trans build/valvebody is how big the holes in the separator plate are and the linemod valve used. For the love of GOD... do not ever use the .5xx" line mod valve. it is not needed.

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
the main thing on the trans build/valvebody is how big the holes in the separator plate are and the linemod valve used. For the love of GOD... do not ever use the .5xx" line mod valve. it is not needed.

Yup the .500 line mod valve is good for one thing. breaking ****. :shrug:

Gearhead

Reaction score
If you have really grippy clutches and a lot of them you don't even need the 427. On mild builds the 427 is okay.

NC714

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I have an appointment with a transmission builder next week and am trying to gather as much information as possible.

bassthumper

Reaction score
I just installed the PHP Hydra on my '00 F350 7.3. I see this has been a question that has been around for some time bu I don't really see a clear answer. I am not the original owner of the truck. Yes it has had a shift kit if some sort put in it but the original owner (whom I happen to know) does not remember what all was done inside the tranny. When using the tunes that are not listed as "modified valve body tunes", my truck shifts super hard..... So much to the point that it is concerning. I haven't used a modified valve body tune yet simply because I do not know what the differences are. I have since went back to the default 00 tune until I get this figured out because I don't want to potentially damage my truck.

Does anyone have any further information on this?

Thanks...

Last edited:

DieselDC

Reaction score
My concern is since I do not know exactly what is there if it will damage anything. That is causing inadvertent damage.

If so, buy a vb you would know the
History of from BTS.DIESELSITE.JW.SamWyse. feed thay directly to the tuner and be done with ti.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

Latest posts

Members online