Redhead Steering Box Installation

brian89

Reaction score
To the guys that have these, what is the major advantage of this compared to a decent stock steering box? i cant seem to bring myself to spend $400 on a steering box when there are other things i could be saving for, so what is the major advantage and points you like about the new steering box as compared to your old one? sorry if i am derailing but i cant seem to find any reviews on these

PSDEng

Reaction score
Straight from the website.

"Other things we do to produce a top quality product include:
Install every sector shaft on a lathe to check for straight and true,
polish the sealing surface to a higher polish than new.

Some original housings are manufactured without bushing or bearings. This is commonly seen in some Ford steering gears and Chrysler steering gears. We rebore these units and install needle bearings.

We use only the highest quality seals. All our seals are either O.E.M. or produced by two high quality, long time suppliers of our industry.

Probably the most unique and important thing we do is custom fit every single worm and piston assembly with new precision fit steel balls. This is a process not matched by any other company in the industry. This process is very important. The machining tolerances of the original manufacturing leave a small and varying amount of play that can be corrected in no other way.

Why don't other builders do this? It is expensive and time consuming to set up. This is one of the reasons you may find another unit somewhere else for less money but the quality cannot be beat. This is why we proudly declare that we are "Not the Biggest... Just the Best!" "

Simply put, they're built to last. I'm enjoying mine so far, after putting some miles on it it's starting to loosen up and feel even better.

pt_ranger_v8

Reaction score
Just got mine in - this install post confirmed how easy it is to put in. Redoing my PS cooler, then going for a test drive.

zilla68

Reaction score
I will admit, so easy a cave man can do it, easy on easy off, makes it a new truck all over again!!
Nothing but good things to say about my redhead gear box

Moto9673

Reaction score
Ok i am in the process of installing my new red head. Got the old one out and the new one in tonight. Just have to bleed the lines and fill it back up. BUT. I never saw any orings when i removed them. Checked old put Nothing. Stumped does the E99 have them. If so where can i find them local with out buying new hoses.

zachpinder6.0

Reaction score
Still has play

I have a 2005 f250 4x4 and installed a redhead gear box. I still have play but only to the left already done ball joints. Any ideas?

Jomax

Reaction score
I have a 2005 f250 4x4 and installed a redhead gear box. I still have play but only to the left already done ball joints. Any ideas?

Tie rods or drag link.

Just saw this is an old thread and I replied to a year old question LoL
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

97stoker350

Reaction score
Just thought id contribute my part on the redhead gear. The install was smooth for having no power tools or help... my old gear was getting really sloppy even after adjusting the screw but it finally failed when the output shaft sheared luckily when I was in a parking lot and not going down the highway. so I had it towed to the parking lot by my house and did the swap there.

The hardest part was getting the pitman arm tightened back up on the drag link because i didn't have a press or air tools. also I didn't have any aerating issues and it centers right back up no problem. The box is by far smoother than any stock one i have driven in any of the ford trucks.

HIGHLY recommend this box to anyone questioning whether or not to get it or go with a stock unit.

sootie

Reaction score
Just thought id contribute my part on the redhead gear. The install was smooth for having no power tools or help... my old gear was getting really sloppy even after adjusting the screw but it finally failed when the output shaft sheared luckily when I was in a parking lot and not going down the highway. so I had it towed to the parking lot by my house and did the swap there.

The hardest part was getting the pitman arm tightened back up on the drag link because i didn't have a press or air tools. also I didn't have any aerating issues and it centers right back up no problem. The box is by far smoother than any stock one i have driven in any of the ford trucks.

HIGHLY recommend this box to anyone questioning whether or not to get it or go with a stock unit.
The output shaft sheared because of you adjusting the screw. Common mistake.

97stoker350

Reaction score
I doubt that because of where it broke... the truck has 220k and most of that was with 40" tires. My stabilizer is shot as well so all the vibrations directly on the output spline.

79jasper

Reaction score
The output shaft sheared because of you adjusting the screw. Common mistake.
There was a guy on another forum that had one snap. But it was a redhead box, literally only days out of the warranty. They were no help.
I've seen other people have to warranty them 4 times to try to get a tight one. Other times they'll give up and get a Napa box. Lol

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.