95 7.3 shifting issues, and rear end hop

USMC95Powerstroke

Reaction score
In advance thanks for the help.
I'm new to the diesel world, but I finally got my dream truck a 95 7.3 crew lwb dually, but it's now becoming a nightmare. I'm having transmission shifting issues where it revs high then hard shifts (2-3) then when in third it shakes till rps rise. Also at around 65 mph the rear end hop is so bad it rattles everything. From the looks of it, it has helper springs along with air bags. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
I can't really provide any useful input on the transmission shifting issues. Make sure that the pressure in the rear tires isn't too much. I used to run about 60 psi in the rear (unloaded). Any higher than that, the truck would be downright squirrely at highway speeds. Maybe check on the driveshaft carrier bearing to see what king of condition it's in. Cheers!

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
when in third it shakes till rps rise.
Fix what's wrong with the engine that is causing it to shake (that's misfire) and the transmission will be fine again. There is almost certainly nothing wrong with the transmission.

Also at around 65 mph the rear end hop is so bad it rattles everything.
I'll bet the rear tires are either out of balance or out of round.

dmd

Reaction score
Glow plugs only help on start up. If it is missing it is either wiring or injectors, or both. From your location I dont think you would even need glowplugs to start.

That 2-3 shift might be an issue Mark didnt notice, hope the flush corrects it. Probably will not unless you are low on fluid.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Thank you guys for the help, going to be replacing glow plugs and do a tranny service this weekend.
Maybe next weekend you can work on these problems. What you are going to do this weekend won't help at all.

I didn't miss the 2-3 shift problem. I addressed it, but you missed it. The problem with the transmission is that the engine isn't running right. Fix the engine and the trans will be fine.

USMC95Powerstroke

Reaction score
I did a service change on the trans because the guy i bought it from didnt know when the last time it was done, and that way i could have fresh fluid and hopefully prevent any issues. The glow plugs helped a lot, the shuddering is almost completely gone. Thank you all for the help.

Latest posts

Members online