7.3 Loading up on fuel

sdpine29

Reaction score
Just picked up a 96 f-450 w/ Quigley 4x4 conversion. Previous owner says it ran great until something happened with the transmission. On my trip home with it, it seemed to shift through all the gears. All of the sudden after about a mile it would gradually slow down like it was loading up with fuel until it came to a stop and died. Few minutes cranking and it would fire up smoking. After a little revving, it would clear out and away it would go. another mile same thing.

Any idea what this would be caused by? I've had 3 7.3's a 95,6&7 and never have i run into this.

Reaction score
Is the CEL illuminated? Any chip or tuner installed? What color is the smoke when it starts back up? What's the fuel pressure at cranking and at idle? Check the oil level and condition (foaming?) Cheers!

sdpine29

Reaction score
No cel, no tuner, blue, haven’t checked pressure oil is full could use a change

Kowboy

Reaction score
I had a similar issue with the fuel selector valve. I have a fuel pressure gauge, and could watch my pressure drop off from 63 psi to about 20 psi. Truck would lose power if I did not keep the pressure above 35 -40 psi. I have a ZF6 and was just above idle in 4th, any faster and the pressure would drop off and then I would lose power. Lucky for me this happened just a couple of miles from home and I was able to limp back home.
If you do have low fuel pressure you may only see it with a load on the engine. It could be the pickup strainer in the tank is plugged. Plugged fuel filter. Bad fuel pump, or regulator. How much fuel is in the tanks? Did you try both tanks?

sdpine29

Reaction score
not sure on maintenance. just picked it up and the bogging down was the first thing i noticed. I'm hopefully going to check the fuel pressure this weekend. also don't know if the other tank works or when the filter was changed. all on my list but thank you everyone for the responses. i figured it was fuel related.

Latest posts

Members online