Speedometer & odometer problem

MeTo

Reaction score
Randomly, the odometer will blank out and the speedometer will just drop to the bottom of the range. Pushing the select button always returns function. I have had it out and cleaned the contacts and applied dielectric grease. Would anyone know of a good vehicle electronic repair/rebuild service?

I don't want to do a pick and pull.

Bugman

Reaction score
RT Grim & Company

They use next day air service so you'll only be down 3 to 4 days

Rtgrim.com

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

MeTo

Reaction score
I contacted them, NO comparison between how through their service is compared to the other vendors. They are not the cheapest, but do scope all aspects of the PSOM operation. It's going out tomorrow. Thank you very much.

Bugman

Reaction score
I had them check mine over for a problem that I was having and they did a great job of cleaning it up.

My problem ended up being the VSS that I didn't replace properly. But I figured that I am now good to go for as long as I own my truck

Sent from my SM-J737V using Tapatalk

Zeb

Reaction score
On my OBS the tach is erratic. Sometimes spot on, sometimes at 0, sometimes bouncing all over the place. Truck runs fine the whole time so I’m convinced it’s in the instrument panel.
Would that be something these guys could fix?

MeTo

Reaction score
Give them a call, very informative. They emailed a shipping label (no money), send them the instrument and they will call/email the results. Then you pay them and get your instrument in usually 5 days. It's $69 for troubleshooting if yo choose not to have it repaired.

Zeb

Reaction score
Give them a call, very informative. They emailed a shipping label (no money), send them the instrument and they will call/email the results. Then you pay them and get your instrument in usually 5 days. It's $69 for troubleshooting if yo choose not to have it repaired.

Very good. Thanks for the info!

MeTo

Reaction score
Just an update if anyone is interested. RT Grim scoped the PSOM, repaired it and shipped it in 5 days. One capacitor was failing and a solder ribbon had a crack. Since a capacitor is basically a battery and my truck is a 97. 22 years is good. As for the solder, based on how these trucks ride. I'm surprised it lasted this long. They replaced all the capacitors and refloated the board. It was $299, which included 2 day shipping both ways. I have ~ 125 miles on it and so far so good.

Floating: immersing the bottom of a circuit board on the surface of a molten puddle of solder, thereby re-soldering the entire circuit board quickly.

Latest posts

Members online