ZF5 to auto and auto to ZF5

obs7.3

Reaction score
Hey everyone.
Long story short I want a zf5 in my 1997 f350 that's currently an auto. I bought a 1997 f250 with a zf5 and plan to put my auto stuff in the f250. I've researched a ton and am pretty familiar with the hard parts of the swap but I am stressing with the electronic side of the swap.
So my question is, can I just switch the PCM's with the transmissions, plug them in and go? I keep finding some info about relocating a pin but it seems to always be when going from 96 to a 97. Both trucks (surprisingly enough) were manufactured 10/97. Since they're the same year are the pins located in the same positions? Everything in both trucks works fine (cruise, NSS, WTS lights, ect) so I want to keep it that way and since I literally have 2 trucks I want to keep everything as factory as possible.
On a different note, the front driveshafts are different, the 350 is a 3 ujoint shaft with a flange, that driveshaft should stay with the f350, correct? Or are all manual trans front drive shafts the 2 ujoint shaft?
Any insight is appreciated.

Reaction score
Not that I'm any expert on these swaps, but you'll need the automatic transmission-related wiring to go with the trans and the clutch pedal/neutral safety switch wiring to go with the manual. It might be easier to swap those harnesses along with the PCMs. Hopefully the PCMs are a DPC-203 for the manual and a DPC-202 for the automatic. You don't want any of the PCM's to be a DPC-311 or DPC-312 which would be a 97 California splitshot version (pinned out completely different). Cheers!

obs7.3

Reaction score
I have the trans harnesses that are going with the transmissions so I should be good on the part. Thanks for the info on the PCM! I don't believe either truck is a cali truck but I'll double check them

JCart

Reaction score
Direct swap of parts, easiest would be to swap out steering columns, PCMs tranny harnesses, peddles, trannies, cross members and D shafts. F350 has a double cardigan joint at the transfer case end and should stay with F350. As I recall the auto is 6” longer, so you may have to mess with D shaft length. The neutral jumper plug for the ZF under dash, plugs into the clutch peddle rod, you’ll find that pre wired on your F350. This grey Plug harness should be under dash on the backside of heater vent above and to passengers of fuel peddle. It’s plastic tanned to hold it from hanging down. You may have to mess around and flip tranny X members (side to side) and might have to drill side of frame rail to fit.
PCMs will swap right across... not to worry.
Great mod,
Cheers,
j

obs7.3

Reaction score
^^^ great to know! This was practically my plan of attack but just needed some reassurance. Thanks a lot!

JCart

Reaction score
^^^ great to know! This was practically my plan of attack but just needed some reassurance. Thanks a lot!

No problem, if you plan any power upgrades to the 350, Id install an aftermarket Clutch assembly in Single Mass format. The stocker is a dual mass clutch and is problematic in the long term.

Also when you have the tranny out, make some vertical cuts along the entire length of the pinch weld that joins the fire wall and floor pan. Cuts will make it much easier to bend the pinch weld over towards rear of truck and pound flat. This will really help later if you ever have to remove the up pipes and if you are installing an aftermarket Down Pipe... which you should do.
j

obs7.3

Reaction score
No problem, if you plan any power upgrades to the 350, Id install an aftermarket Clutch assembly in Single Mass format. The stocker is a dual mass clutch and is problematic in the long term.

Also when you have the tranny out, make some vertical cuts along the entire length of the pinch weld that joins the fire wall and floor pan. Cuts will make it much easier to bend the pinch weld over towards rear of truck and pound flat. This will really help later if you ever have to remove the up pipes and if you are installing an aftermarket Down Pipe... which you should do.
j

Both trucks already have the 3" downpipes but I'm going to take your advise and bend the firewall a little more. Not going crazy on power right now. Maybe in a year or 2 but I did get a new single mass flywheel and clutch that I got hung last night.

Thanks again for the info and input.

obs7.3

Reaction score
Direct swap of parts, easiest would be to swap out steering columns, PCMs tranny harnesses, peddles, trannies, cross members and D shafts. F350 has a double cardigan joint at the transfer case end and should stay with F350. As I recall the auto is 6” longer, so you may have to mess with D shaft length. The neutral jumper plug for the ZF under dash, plugs into the clutch peddle rod, you’ll find that pre wired on your F350. This grey Plug harness should be under dash on the backside of heater vent above and to passengers of fuel peddle. It’s plastic tanned to hold it from hanging down. You may have to mess around and flip tranny X members (side to side) and might have to drill side of frame rail to fit.
PCMs will swap right across... not to worry.
Great mod,
Cheers,
j

Well I think I hit a bit of a snag. When looking at the transmission harness plugs under the master cylinder, the auto trans harness has a round plug with 2 wires that plugs in next to the black square plug. The zf donor truck does not have that round plug, and there are way more prongs in the auto trans harness plug that the zf harness doesn't have (kind of expected that one). Do I need to switch the whole harness that plugs into the PCM to make this all right? Looks like the power distribution box will have to switch trucks as well but I didn't spend a whole lot of time on it last night when I had other stuff to start putting back together.

JCart

Reaction score
Look around on my (3 swaps now) both plugs (on the PCM side) ZF and E4 where attached (pre wired) to the inner fender liner below the brake master cylinder area. The ZF Plug is basically to trigger Truck back up lights as I recall and maybe low/high range.

For sure auto tranny has more circuits....

Don’t see a reason to change power distribution box, lease I never did.
Cheers,
j

obs7.3

Reaction score
Look around on my (3 swaps now) both plugs (on the PCM side) ZF and E4 where attached (pre wired) to the inner fender liner below the brake master cylinder area. The ZF Plug is basically to trigger Truck back up lights as I recall and maybe low/high range.

For sure auto tranny has more circuits....

Don’t see a reason to change power distribution box, lease I never did.
Cheers,
j

Okay I'll dig further into it and see if I can find it. With all the other wiring being present I can't imagine why they wouldn't have put the other plugs in but engineers do some goofy stuff sometimes. Thanks again for your input

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.