RSK w/ SD springs vs +'05 coil springs

blaze12340

Reaction score
I used the RYD kit with coil over conversion I can help with picks and any help needed
I love the turn radius and the looks I get from people that realize the is supposed to have leaf springs

F350BOB

Reaction score
Hi Any updates on fix?? Im curious as I am debating either a rsk sd spring swap or going all out on 05 + swap. Right now I am running 20 year old skyjacker 6" lift. Its still in good shape and I love the way it looks but the ride:fustrate:. My main concern with the 05 up is Death Wobble . Ford cant get it right in a truck that was designed for that suspension being out for 15 years (wow im getting old they seem like a new thing to me:D) still gets DW :shrug:Retro fitting it on a obs it seems dw will occur I searched posts but its not really mentioned. Also the idea that I can't run a good looking wheel like my beloved Welds or Alcoas anymore discourages me if I go 05+. I also noted on Garbage Mechanics post that the front frame on obs is not designed as a stress point on the frame and he seen other rsk obs do the same as yours.I would think the cross tube on rsk would stiffen it up. Im not looking for lift above 3.5" just a bearable ride and to run 35's.. Not doing this any time soon just curious as to what you decided to do. I also seen a front axle and frame cut on marketplace for $400 that got my mind on this :D:D:D

sootie

Reaction score
Hi Any updates on fix?? Im curious as I am debating either a rsk sd spring swap or going all out on 05 + swap. Right now I am running 20 year old skyjacker 6" lift. Its still in good shape and I love the way it looks but the ride:fustrate:. My main concern with the 05 up is Death Wobble . Ford cant get it right in a truck that was designed for that suspension being out for 15 years (wow im getting old they seem like a new thing to me:D) still gets DW :shrug:Retro fitting it on a obs it seems dw will occur I searched posts but its not really mentioned. Also the idea that I can't run a good looking wheel like my beloved Welds or Alcoas anymore discourages me if I go 05+. I also noted on Garbage Mechanics post that the front frame on obs is not designed as a stress point on the frame and he seen other rsk obs do the same as yours.I would think the cross tube on rsk would stiffen it up. Im not looking for lift above 3.5" just a bearable ride and to run 35's.. Not doing this any time soon just curious as to what you decided to do. I also seen a front axle and frame cut on marketplace for $400 that got my mind on this :D:D:D

Not sure where you get yore info but death wobble is no issue on 05+ trucks. The issue is worn steering components and incorrect alignment. Never met a truck with death wobble I couldn't fix with some new parts and a good alignment rack.

F350BOB

Reaction score
Yes it can be fixed but for how long? I never battled it on a Ford but had a 97 Dodge 15 years ago that had every available fix at the time ie 3rd gen track bar and dss that was a cross bar and bearing on sector shaft and when they were still decent all Moog front end parts. It was aligned by a big truck shop with top of the line equipment with proper caster settings. It worked for a while but 20 k miles later it came back. Front end parts should not wear out that quick. Truck only had a spacer lift on top of coils and 285's . I also had it on a 86 F350 kp 60 did it on 35's not 235's new King pins cured that. I never owned a Ford with coils but its prevalent on the internet and even for the brandy new BIG MONEY trucks they still get DW. I just cant imagine paying 80k for a truck and getting death wobble.. :cursing:. If you believe you have the Cure for DW you should propose yourself to Ford and Dodge and become a Billionaire:clapping:. I understand dw occurs due to a combination of worn parts bad or improper tire psi and a suspension design prone to it. There are new superduties with 4000 miles getting it come on front end parts worn that quick. Off topic the 18 plus f150 5.0 seem to have a burning oil issue a guy in my town had 2 engines put in now getting lemon law. These issues make me happy I live in the past with my obs and cant afford or want this new technology:toast::toast:

Zeb

Reaction score
Yes it can be fixed but for how long? I never battled it on a Ford but had a 97 Dodge 15 years ago that had every available fix at the time ie 3rd gen track bar and dss that was a cross bar and bearing on sector shaft and when they were still decent all Moog front end parts. It was aligned by a big truck shop with top of the line equipment with proper caster settings. It worked for a while but 20 k miles later it came back. Front end parts should not wear out that quick. Truck only had a spacer lift on top of coils and 285's . I also had it on a 86 F350 kp 60 did it on 35's not 235's new King pins cured that. I never owned a Ford with coils but its prevalent on the internet and even for the brandy new BIG MONEY trucks they still get DW. I just cant imagine paying 80k for a truck and getting death wobble.. :cursing:. If you believe you have the Cure for DW you should propose yourself to Ford and Dodge and become a Billionaire:clapping:. I understand dw occurs due to a combination of worn parts bad or improper tire psi and a suspension design prone to it. There are new superduties with 4000 miles getting it come on front end parts worn that quick. Off topic the 18 plus f150 5.0 seem to have a burning oil issue a guy in my town had 2 engines put in now getting lemon law. These issues make me happy I live in the past with my obs and cant afford or want this new technology:toast::toast:

I can’t tell you how many 2005 and newer Fords, I have owned, driven, and worked on, and the ONLY one that had death wobble was a friends 2012 that had been hit in the front/down the passenger side.
That is the only 2005 and newer Ford I’ve ever been around that had death wobble.

sootie

Reaction score

I thought we were talking about 05+ Ford front ends? I cant see where i mentioned anything about clapped out hooptie 2nd gen scrap bucket Rams...

Even you admitted the issues show up when non-standard steering/suspension components are added to the mix. Guess what? That means the correct spec what not achieved to avoid death wobble before that truck went along the road. Thanks for proving my point.

IDGAF about F150s burning oil as it has nothing to do with the topic at hand...ADD much?

Oh and make sure you believe everything on the internet-it's always true!

F350BOB

Reaction score
This is the very reason I don't post on these forums .. I was asking the original poster as to how he fixed his truck . I added my own perspective that although you say you can amazingly cure any truck of dw that Ford is still having issues with it as there are lawsuits pertaining to new 250/350 with dw that putting said front axle and suspension on a truck that had leafs that more than likely dw will occur. Im sure that not all trucks get it and there are many that never will . Im no expert on anything nor do I believe everything I read on the internet. Im sure you think my obs is a pile of thrash and a truck your grandfather once had and not worth spending a dime on just move on to something newer. Next youll tell me the 6.0 was a great engine and all the issues were heresey on the internet:eek::D

sootie

Reaction score
This is the very reason I don't post on these forums .. I was asking the original poster as to how he fixed his truck . I added my own perspective that although you say you can amazingly cure any truck of dw that Ford is still having issues with it as there are lawsuits pertaining to new 250/350 with dw that putting said front axle and suspension on a truck that had leafs that more than likely dw will occur. Im sure that not all trucks get it and there are many that never will . Im no expert on anything nor do I believe everything I read on the internet. Im sure you think my obs is a pile of thrash and a truck your grandfather once had and not worth spending a dime on just move on to something newer. Next youll tell me the 6.0 was a great engine and all the issues were heresey on the internet:eek::D

Did you pass English class at school?

Zeb

Reaction score

Ahhh, don’t get all butt hurt that we didn’t agree with you.
Death wobble on 2005+ trucks is very rare. Just because there is a lawsuit about it doesn’t mean much in my book.

Oh, I’ve got an OBS, and a 6.0. Owned both of them for years. Both are nowhere close to stock. Guess which one has more miles, and which one I prefer to drive? :D

79jasper

Reaction score
Ford and dodge front ends are like apples to oranges.
You posted the exact issue to you problem on the dodge. "Moog"
I've personally never came across a ford with death wobble.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

jschildm

Reaction score
I know of 1 person where I work that had a '17 he got new that had death wobble. He ended up trading for a new Chevy. I think he gave ford a couple trys to fix it and moved on. Another friend of mine had a '17 they got used that had it once. I think a steering dampener was replaced and it has gone away. I don't know a bunch of details on either one, just that they were both new or pretty new trucks (at least to me) that had death wobble. With that being said, I certainly don't think its a prevalent issue today on new trucks.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just about anyone that thinks a ford 3/4 or 1 ton truck has death wobble doesn't know the difference between that and bump steer... big difference.. most of them have bump steer. Just need a tweek on the alignment rack. Or add a couple more steering dampners...

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

F350BOB

Reaction score
I know of 1 person where I work that had a '17 he got new that had death wobble. He ended up trading for a new Chevy. I think he gave ford a couple trys to fix it and moved on. Another friend of mine had a '17 they got used that had it once. I think a steering dampener was replaced and it has gone away. I don't know a bunch of details on either one, just that they were both new or pretty new trucks (at least to me) that had death wobble. With that being said, I certainly don't think its a prevalent issue today on new trucks.

I don't believe its a widespread problem on 05 up sd mostly coming on after parts get worn or suspension gets modified. My observations are that I believe I will open up a can of worms retrofitting this suspension on my obs. Sure it will ride better and have a better turning radius and im sure there are thousands swaps done on obs and leaf spring sd's that have no ill effects. Jschildm you know of 2 people that had it on a 17 . If I paid 60k plus and my truck did this id be in a uproar..You as well as I still have our obs trucks there is a reason for that :D Im sure you can afford to upgrade but choose to live in the past like me when a truck was a truck and not something you drop a house payment on every month..

F350BOB

Reaction score
Just about anyone that thinks a ford 3/4 or 1 ton truck has death wobble doesn't know the difference between that and bump steer... big difference.. most of them have bump steer. Just need a tweek on the alignment rack. Or add a couple more steering dampners...

I totally agree with you but a few videos I watched on you tube it was dw..I also believe that 90 percent of these people who have these trucks don't even know what a solid axle is or what a dana 60 is:D The Diesel community and owners have changed greatly in the 25 years ive been into Diesels. Just yesterday leaving Wally World 2 guys walking out you would swear were going to get into a riced out Civic got into a lifted big piped Cummins:shrug: I guess Im getting old:fustrate:

jschildm

Reaction score

Now that could be. I hadn't ridden in either one or observed when they did it.

Latest posts

Members online