Frontend poping noise

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Hey i have a ongoing problem that i cant find. It started several months ago when i turned the wheel hard it poped a little. Now it does it when i turn or go over big bumps and also when the frontend flexes. It has new tie rod ends, axle u-joints, and driverside wheel bearings. It doesnt always do it at the same position when i turn the wheel so i dont believe its the steering box.Steering is smooth also.Balljoints are tight. Please help.

Reaction score
Here's the old stanby trick (and don't laugh ... try it!): Tighten all the fender bolts along the top edges inside the engine compartment. Other than that, you could possibly have a bad rivet on the frame (TSB attached). Cheers!

Attachments

• TSB 97-3-10.pdf
    110.4 KB · Views: 471

JD3020

Reaction score
My truck does the same, and getting worse everyday. I'm just figuring its worn out spring or pivot bushings. Should try driving through a corn field hauling grain sometime in my truck, damn front end sounds like its about to fall off. :shocked: Drives as straight as an arrow though, only issue is there is a shake in the steering wheel as i think one tire threw a weight and is out of balance.

Tom S

Reaction score
Mine had the huck rivet repair done under warranty. It would pop if you were turning the wheel hard at low speed or turning and going over a bump like pulling into a driveway.

In addition to what was mentioned I would also check the torque on my U-bolts and spring bolts as part of the process. Do you have a feel for where the pop noise is?

I am going to stick this thread to move into the library later as the TSB Patrick posted up is excellent.

rat49f6

Reaction score
Subbed...mine does this and I can't view tsb from my phone

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Tsb is very inersesting, iv tried to narrow it down by spraying wd40 on anything that moves and makeing sure the u- bolts are tight. The spring bushings do look a lil rough tho. Its very annoying and i want to make sure it isnt serious.

Wes Lewis

Reaction score
Mine does it also, I'm pretty sure its where the I beams are bolted to the crossmember. Haven't looked at it yet

Seems from everyone's sig it's a f-250 thing?

Pstroke96

Reaction score
check your sway and track bar bushings as well. i had a simiar issue turned out the shot bushings were the culprit

'94IDITurbo7.3

Reaction score
My truck has begun to do this as well. a couple weeks ago i hit a deer and since then i have a popping noise coming from the front end when going slow over uneven terrain and when turning slow. the deer's head hit the bumper right on the end of the frame rail. new axle pivot bushings, new sway bar end link bushings & bar to fram bushings, new radius arm bushings. fairly new wheel bearings, tight ball joints, all new tie rods. steering gear box is loose. tracks dead straight on smooth ground. don't have any odd vibes while driving.

i agree, sounds scary as hell lol. i will look into the fender bolts.

Last edited:

'94IDITurbo7.3

Reaction score
i looked over the front end of my truck and noticed that my pass side ball joints are a bit loose. everything else is brand new and TIGHT. i looked at the rivots that hold the axle pivot brackets to the front x-member and they look just fine, none are missing from what i can tell and the ones that i can see don't appear to be loose at all. this coming week i will put the truck on a hoist at school and look at it better.

could slightly loose ball joints cause this issue. it sounds like the front end is going to fall off at times.

'94IDITurbo7.3

Reaction score
i put my truck on the hoist at school yesterday and did a good inspection again and everything(other than the BJ's) is tight.one guy said that the coil springs might be worn out and i am hitting the front bump stops. although i don't think that would make a popping noise.

i also noticed that the passenger side of my cab is lower than the driver' side. d-side is 19" from ground to bottom of rocker panel and pass side is 18.5". the cab mounts are solid. the rad core support mounts have seen better days though.

JD3020

Reaction score
If its a 94-97 you don't have coil springs, it is leaf sprung.
Also in for info cause my friends 550 does it too

His truck is 2wd, so it has coils. Sounds like something is binding.

But if the front end is sitting on the bump-stops then that needs to get taken care of.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
have you watched everything move while someone turns the wheel from stop to stop while its sitting on the ground? my guess is coil bind, while someone turns the wheels watch the coil springs they will prolly vibrate like a mofo and at some points will make a popping noise.

live life full throttle

Last edited: