Exhaust manifold tick?

Reaction score
Got a 97 5 spd that has developed a rather odd tick to my knowledge. It only happens after I’ve driven on the freeway or get on it, once I come to a red I can hear a tick as if the exhaust manifold is contracting? Does anyone have any thoughts on this or experienced it before?

Thanks,
Clayton

Reaction score
I was reading somewhere that may be the case and I will look into it but it’s more so what I would maybe something to do with manifolds the reason I say that is, it’s a loud or reasonably noticeable tink/tick as if metal is contracting. Not really all that repetitive, 10-20 second intervals I would say?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I was reading somewhere that may be the case and I will look into it but it’s more so what I would maybe something to do with manifolds the reason I say that is, it’s a loud or reasonably noticeable tink/tick as if metal is contracting. Not really all that repetitive, 10-20 second intervals I would say?
Manifold leak. Up pipe doughnuts. push rods ticking on the head gasket. Usually one of those. Hard runs make heat and expand whatever it is. I dont think id keep doing it until everything checks out. Should see black soot on uppies or manifolds if leaking

live life full throttle

JCart

Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t want to hear anything about up pipes, I will check them out when I go over everything else

LOLLOL while your looking for black carbon on the firewall behind the up pipe collector, crawl underneath with a bright flashlight and view the mating surfaces between exhaust manifolds and head on the bottom side. Pay particular attention towards firewall end of block specially drivers side. No gaskets from the factory right, aftermarket makes them I used Fel Pros worked great. Not uncommon on same side to have manifold bolt heads pop off....
Cheers,
j

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.