Need some help, please.

corder1979

Reaction score
I drove down to my girlfriend’s house last night, and my truck started acting up about five miles from her house. I just had the AC compressor replaced (it had seized up). I got it back on the 23rd, and had only put about 100 miles on it until last night. Aside from the shop forgetting to tighten down a couple of the turbo clamps on the pipe going to the inter cooler (which popped off and sounded like a shotgun, scaring the crap out of my kids and myself), everything seemed fine. The truck ran great, lots of power (as always), shifted perfect. i drove it to work several times and never had an issue.
Then, I drove it to her house (3-1/2 hours away). I got off the highway a few miles from her house so I could fuel up for the trip back tomorrow morning. When I pulled off the highway and gave it throttle, as it shifted it was slamming into gear. I BELIEVE it was from second to third, but I wasn’t paying that much attention until it started acting up. It did this all the way to the gas station, then all the way to her house. It seemed as though it was a lot better over 50. Not sure if that means anything or not.
I did do some searching and found the “5r110 Shift Relearning Strategy”, and I’m getting ready to go try that, since before the compressor replacement, I had unhooked both batteries and didn’t have a KAM battery (just found out about it when I was searching for my issue). I’m hoping that solves it, but is there any other issue that could cause this? I figured I’d ask now so I might have some ideas when I get back in from messing with the truck. I haven’t even put 2,500 miles on this truck since I bought it back in February, and I’m starting to think it hates me.
As of right now, I’ve done the relearning procedure, and it seems to have worked somewhat. However, I don’t have overdrive, the truck is stumbling horribly and when I went to back up a little bit ago, the throttle decided it didn’t want to respond for a couple minutes and the injectors clattered a lot louder than usual. Then it took about 4-5 minutes to get from 0-30, then at 30, it finally started running correctly.
The truck isn’t tuned, it’s stock. Since I’ve had it, it’s never overheated or even went over halfway on the engine temp, and always slightly under half on the trans temp. It’s not throwing any codes at all (no engine light).

Rick

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a driveability issue thats causing the trans to freak out. Gotta get something on it to pull codes and go from there.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

corder1979

Reaction score
The check engine light has never gone off since I’ve owned it. I was under the impression that if it had any codes, the light would come on. Is that correct, or no?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
The check engine light has never gone off since I’ve owned it. I was under the impression that if it had any codes, the light would come on. Is that correct, or no?
Yes and no, some faults it has to see multiple times in a certain amount of time, some faults will throw it regardless, some wont at all... You could have a fuel pump dying, ficm dying, egg valve starting to stick open, etc. Most if those wint throw codes that set a light, but will show a code when pulled with a good scanner.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

corder1979

Reaction score
Well, tried taking the MAF sensor off to see if it made a difference. Still a delay going into reverse, but the shifting seemed smoother (although at higher RPMs because the MAF was unplugged). Then I blew another turbo hose off (passenger side, bottom of the intercooler). Tried reconnecting it, but every time the clamp would start to get tight, the hose would start sliding off at one end and slip off. So I limped it home and here it sits. I’m guessing I’ll get it fixed long enough to do a trade it for something else. This thing has sat more than it’s been driven, which is extremely aggravating.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.