05 throwing P2623 code

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I've only had this turd not quite 2 years now, but it's been good to me and I actually got to where I thought I could trust it... then it went full 6.0 on me :morons:
Fueled up on Saturday, got maybe a mile down the road and the truck died like I had turned the key off. Got her off the road and pulled codes, had P2623. Cleared the code, she fired up and made it home fine, no other issues. Maybe unrelated but of note- when it died I pulled the key out and opened the door and the radio didn't turn off like it usually does.
Had to make a dump run yesterday so I was watching it a bit more closely on my Edge monitor, on cold start (about 30° ambient) it was idling at about 1500psi ICP. As it warmed up, the ICP at idle dropped to 580. Drove 10 miles or so, left it idling while I unloaded at the dump, and as I start to drive away it dies again, P2623. I had to clear the code several times before it fired back up (I think because the Edge monitor was not shutting down the code wasn't actually clearing). Drove the 7 or miles home no issues.
Truck has 116k on it, all stock other than PHP tunes on the Edge tuner/monitor. It has always been a bit grumpy on cold mornings, and has what I think a somewhat longer than normal crank time when warm.
Most of what I'm finding points to the IPR and/or the pigtail going to it so that's where I think I'll start. When I was messing with it yesterday the ICP and it's pigtail looked fine, no evidence of rodents under the hood. A friend suggested checking the plugs at the FICM closely as well as the wire harness under the intake where it comes over the valve cover. Anything else I should be investigating?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
90% of them ive had have been the ipr. When it gets hot the electrical wimdimgs in the solenoid open. Let it sit about 10 20 minutes or so, and it cools down. Resistance drops, and starys and runs. Check out the pigtail when youre in there, but the ipr is most likely.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

bismic

Reaction score
+1 for it being the IPR valve. Does your IPR still have the heat shield. All insulation ok?

superduty4x4

Reaction score
+1 for it being the IPR valve. Does your IPR still have the heat shield. All insulation ok?
As far as I could see when I was messing with it all the insulation and heat shielding was intact.
New IPR is on the way. If I'm not mistaken the easiest way to swap it out is to pull the turbo?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What they said. Pull the ficm and rear ficm bracket, then if you have the heat shield that monts to the intake and up pipe heat shield, pull that. Ive got fat hands so I usually pull the upper top corner valve cover bolt and the rear most intakr bolt. Then a wobbly, long extension, and ipr socket, and it comes right out.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
What they said. Pull the ficm and rear ficm bracket, then if you have the heat shield that monts to the intake and up pipe heat shield, pull that. Ive got fat hands so I usually pull the upper top corner valve cover bolt and the rear most intakr bolt. Then a wobbly, long extension, and ipr socket, and it comes right out.

Pulling the FICM should be easier than pulling the turbo so I'll give it a go, thanks.
I already have the IPR socket so good to go there.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Got the new IPR in after much swearing and about 3' of extensions, Drove the truck about 80 miles without incident so I'm hopeful that the issue is resolved.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.