6.0 starts and dies

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Having issues with my 05.. was driving down the road today pulling my camper and it was running fine. Went to stop at a stop sign and it just died.. pulled the fuel filter on the motor and the bowl was half full. Hit the key till the bowl filled up and put the cap back on.. fires up and dies pulled the filter cap again and same thing bowl half full.. did the same thing and it fired again for a second and died. Abviously the pump is working. I’m gunna change filter on the frame tomorrow and see if that helps.. anyone have any other suggestions ? Thanks

bismic

Reaction score
Just because the pump fills the fuel bowl doesn't mean that it can sufficiently get diesel to the injectors. IMO a fuel pressure gauge is a necessity!

It could also be the FICM or even an ICP sensor.

Also, a bad injector can leak combustion gas backwards into the fuel rail and prevent the flow of diesel to the injectors. Do a bubble test to identify or rule out this issue.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Do you have base oil pressure while cranking as well? As bismic said, doesnt necessarily mean its a pump. Ipr would do something like this, depending on how long it set while you were pulling the filter cap, other hi pressure oil issues, cam or crank sensors, etc. Probably need to get a scanner on it and see what codes its got. Typically a fuel issue will start to get really noisy before it dies, start clacking real bad and missing, then eventually die.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Can I use just a regular SCT scanner that’s all I have ?
You can try pulling codes with it, I'm not real familiar with how good at reading codes they are. It should work for checking icp, ficm voltage, and rpm. As long as it doesnt turn off when cranking.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Can’t I unplug the ICP and see if it will start if I think that sensor has failed ?
You can, but if its an actual hi pressure problem, like an ipr or something, unplugging the sensor wont fix it. That will only work if the sensor is giving incorrect readings to the pcm and causing a no start. I have found that the late build icp sensors tend to be fairly reliable. Ive only done a handful of them, the early ones are the problematic sensors.

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Alright I’ll try and see if I can pull any codes and I’ll also try unplugging the icp and see if that makes any difference.. if still nothing but I have codes I’ll let you know what they are... thanks for the help

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Ok so changed fuel filter it was nasty. I can get it to fire on ether and holding oh at 1/4 throttle it will stay running and it I hold it there for a minute or so and let it go back to idle it lopes.. can’t drive it or it will die. 1 code for icp sensor low circuit. Tried to unplug it and no start. Had it running with a lope and unglugged it and it died. Gunna try and change icp and see if that helps. Any other ideas ?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok so changed fuel filter it was nasty. I can get it to fire on ether and holding oh at 1/4 throttle it will stay running and it I hold it there for a minute or so and let it go back to idle it lopes.. can’t drive it or it will die. 1 code for icp sensor low circuit. Tried to unplug it and no start. Had it running with a lope and unglugged it and it died. Gunna try and change icp and see if that helps. Any other ideas ?
Was the code in there before you unplugged the sensor, or after?

bismic

Reaction score
Nasty fuel filters means low fuel pressure, which means the injectors are likely to fail, if not an issue now, they will be in the future.

Don't let the fuel filters get nasty!!!

You are going to have to monitor ICP pressure, ICP volts, IPR % duty cycle. The SCT is a poor code reader and a poor scan tool.

Download ForScan Lite to a smartphone and get an ELM327 OBDII adapter (WiFi for iOS and BlueTooth for Android), total cost $45 or less. I like the BAFX brand of adapter,

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Update. After changing the fuel filter I stuck a pressure gauge on the filter cap on top of the motor and only have 4psi of fuel pressure.. ordered a new pump today probably do to the filter... I just changed the filter 3 months ago guess I better watch were I get my fuel from..

wildbill963258

Reaction score
Update. After changing the fuel filter I stuck a pressure gauge on the filter cap on top of the motor and only have 4psi of fuel pressure.. ordered a new pump today probably do to the filter... I just changed the filter 3 months ago guess I better watch were I get my fuel from..

Get your fuel from places that fill there in ground tanks often 10 times out of 10 they'll have the best fuel. It doesn't have to be a truck stop necessarily but a place where you see any kind of diesel vehicle fill up at quite often

wildbill963258

Reaction score
The murphys gas station local to my hometown is not a truck stop but i often see semis dump trucks and diesel pickups fill up there so i prefer there. If not then theres another gas station in my town that is the home base of a semi truck company and I use them as well

Connor M

Youtube Certified Master Technician
Reaction score
Check the ficm with another truck if possible. Had a truck with a bad connector and it threw no codes, everything looked good, but it was losing sync, dying and not restarting.

Swapped ficms with another truck and it ran fine. Just because it's showing 48v doesn't mean your ficm doesn't have other issues. if you have access to another 6.0 it's a free and easy test.

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
Another update. Got new pump installed got good fuel pressure.. can’t get it to start by itself have to ether once I do that it idles ok alittle lope. If I put it in gear it dies and won’t restart by itself even after warm. Once I ether it it starts and runs fine until you put it in gear.. any ideas ?

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
If I idle it up to around 2500rpm for a few seconds it drops right down like it should and idles normal no lope think it just needs to run awhile.. I didn’t think there would be that much air

Latest posts