Turbo removal. Quick question

flashflood394

Reaction score
Removing the turbo on my 94 to do a head gasket and I can not get the back drive side turbo pedistol bolt off. I have a 10mm swivel socket and all sorts of extensions on a little ratchet. Just wondering what the best way is to get to the bolt. Is the pic I have below the way to get to it, or am I suppose to go between where the exhaust manifolds come together then back towards the front of the truck
a60a248797f75820435037470e01889b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flashflood394

Reaction score
And the bolt is just on the other side of that cylinder that is in there behind/ under the turbo?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I found that a 12-point 10mm swivel socket worked better than a 6-point socket. It just had a bit more flexibility in positioning the socket. I basically just used a "feel" approach to getting the socket on the bolt head (just as in your photo). Cheers!

old man dave

Reaction score
If you are using a 1/4" drive swivel and extension, use an adaptor to 3/8" drive ratchet for more leverage. you will need it. Not only hard to get to but pretty tight.

jjsalz

Reaction score
If you are using a 1/4" drive swivel and extension, use an adaptor to 3/8" drive ratchet for more leverage. you will need it. Not only hard to get to but pretty tight.
Yeah this is key to getting that bolt out. I sacrificed a 3/8" extension and cut the ratchet socket end off and welded a 1/4" drive 6" long extension to it. That way I got better leverage and the small 1/4" extension shaft snuck right in there. Sometimes you gotta make special tools!

Reaction score
Pretty difficult if not impossible to get to the turbo-to-pedestal bolts since they go in from the bottom (especially with the fuel pump and lines installed). Cheers!

79jasper

Reaction score
I've wandered about trying it that way, but I figure if it were that easy, people would already be doing it that way. Couldn't find anyone who has actually tried it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

79jasper

Reaction score
When I looked at it out, I think the bolts are too long. You would have to lift on it while taking them out. Not worth it, imo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Chris2590

Reaction score
Oh man that one is a pain on the ass. I'm so hlad I spent the extra money and bought a blank pedistal. A guy on here recommended it and I took his advice. It makes it so much raiser to get it back on and off. I tried using a short 10mm wrench at first with no luck. You just have to find the right combinations of swivel, short 10mm socket, and 1/4 extensions. I couldn't even see it until I wedged my head way back in there. What you can do if you don't know where it is exactly is take a picture back there with your flash on. That will give you a general direction of where it is and go from there. Once your on it don't stop cranking till it's all the way out lol.
Good luck.

Jkk7_3

Reaction score
1/4 socket 1/4 swivel 1/4 extension to 3/8 adapter to 3/8 ratchet, get a ******d pedestal and outlet and you won't have a problem getting to the bolts anymore

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.