Front cover replacement

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm in the process of replacing a front cover due to a pinhole leak. Im assuming old coolant caused the cover to corrode from the inside until it finally created a hole.

So as i'm reading the ford service manual on how to replace the front cover, it gets into Harmonic Balancer removal, and its showing to remove the balancer, then remove the wear ring. Is that necessary? Or can i just pull the balancer, then install the new front cover, and reinstall the balancer as it was?

The motor was just rebuilt, no more than 600 miles ago, just my luck that the cover was leaking and didnt find out until after i had installed it...

Anything else like this i should be aware of? Or is the rest of it pretty straight forward?

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
It also says to replace the front crank seal anytime its removed, is it really necessary? Or since its so new i could get away with reusing it?

kip4234

Reaction score
you don't need to worry about the sleeve. you will have to have the engine out to do the front cover.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Need the same year for your truck, unless you want to get a SD cover that has the HPO filter. The wear sleeve would be on the harmonic balancer. I would recommend a new front oil seal. But up to you.

Latest posts

Members online