Zf5 short throw

LtlPed

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing if people still recommend using a short throw shifter in the Zf5. From what I can tell mid West transmission seems to be the only one offering one for my 96. My only problem is I've been with out my truck now for 9 months getting it back soon I hope and don't want the down time of having to send mine into mid West to do this. Are there any other options and does it make a good enough difference to justify the $215?

I'm sure I'll get voted off the island for asking but what would it take besides a transmission, pcm and steering column to switch to an automatic?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

79jasper

Reaction score
Driveshafts, a cooler, and a lot of wiring. Unless you go with a aftermarket controller.
I haven't seen anyone talk about the short throw shifters in awhile. Probably because you don't gain much for the money spent.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

LtlPed

Reaction score
If I want an auto then better trade for an auto then. damn my life of never being satisfied. So many ways I can go. Stick with obs I have do a sas, go to an obs auto, go to 99+ 7.3, move into a 6.0....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JCart

Reaction score
Short throw is worth the effort and if you're handy you can make your own. If you have a built auto (i.e., reputable builder) it's worth it if not stay with the ZF. You also need to swap out the peddle box. If you have a parts truck it's much easier.

I think I have a write up on my short throw shifter in sig link.

jrc

Reaction score
I have a Midwest Short throw in the 96. Not a wild difference but I'm satisfied. Too much less might be too "notchy" I just hunted up a new shift stub and sent to them so it was new, unworn and modified all at once. Installed a new tower too and plastic "cubes" so it was all like new.

Latest posts

Members online