Injectors & tuning

jvc1990

Reaction score
which sponsors on here rebuilds injectors & does their own tuning on their chips. hopefully I will soon be able to update my 97 F-250. someone had a post on here, that it would be better to buy from someone that does both. will be doing injectors,e-fuel,chip,& D-66 turbo,diy intake,already have exhaust. thanks

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Depends if your injectors can be rebuilt. Over 125,000 miles are too worn to rebuild.

jvc1990

Reaction score
I bought the truck about five year's ago,it has about 320,000 on it now.it run's pretty good for it's age.i would say it has the original injectors in it.the exhaust smell is pretty rough, until it is up to operating temp.a couple of year's I replaced the injector o-rings & swapped out the turbo with one that I rebuilt.but did not stop the smoking issue.the valve stem seals could be worn out? Thank's for the reply.

superpsd

Reaction score
First of a D66 turbo is a horrible choice. A little reading around the various forums by searching D66 will show you what I mean. Second you may want to consider doing a compression check at its age and figure out why it is smoking. If it runs well you may not be too concerned. As for a vendor that does both probably Swamps I think. Most don't have an issue tuning others injectors as some injector builders seem to work with the tuner and relay them flow bench data to tune with. Lots of people really seem to like. P.I.S. injectors. Can't go wrong with Swamps and a few others out there. Consider the Hydra chip as you can have tuning from different vendors emailed to you and you can download the tunes without removing the chip and try different tuning to see what you like. Also consider diagnostic equipment if you do not have. If you need custom alterations to a calibration the tuner will likely need datalogs to see what's going on. Depending on your power goal you may need a hpop, head studs, springs, push rods, and transmission/clutch upgrades to support higher power levels.

Last edited:

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
First of a D66 turbo is a horrible choice. A little reading around the various forums by searching D66 will show you what I mean. Second you may want to consider doing a compression check at its age and figure out why it is smoking. If it runs well you may not be too concerned. As for a vendor that does both probably Swamps I think. Most don't have an issue tuning others injectors as some injector builders seem to work with the tuner and relay them flow bench data to tune with. Lots of people really seem to like. P.I.S. injectors. Can't go wrong with Swamps and a few others out there. Consider the Hydra chip as you can have tuning from different vendors emailed to you and you can download the tunes without removing the chip and try different tuning to see what you like. Also consider diagnostic equipment if you do not have. If you need custom alterations to a calibration the tuner will likely need datalogs to see what's going on. Depending on your power goal you may need a hpop, head studs, springs, push rods, and transmission/clutch upgrades to support higher power levels.

Truest statement in all of forum-land. Most running that style of turbo have smoke, lag, and EGT issues.

To the OP... While we do not build our own injectors, we have sold Full Force injectors for many years and offer the custom tuning for them. As long as the tunes are dialed in for the injectors, then you will be happy. Having someone who tunes and builds injectors will not necessarily mean it is the best combo available, so I would not make that a requirement in your search for injectors and tuning.

Let me know if we can help you out.

jvc1990

Reaction score
Thanks for the replays,I will be checking the compression.it would be good to know anyway.im sure all this stuff has been talked over & over but I appreciate the help.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Truest statement in all of forum-land. Most running that style of turbo have smoke, lag, and EGT issues.

To the OP... While we do not build our own injectors, we have sold Full Force injectors for many years and offer the custom tuning for them. As long as the tunes are dialed in for the injectors, then you will be happy. Having someone who tunes and builds injectors will not necessarily mean it is the best combo available, so I would not make that a requirement in your search for injectors and tuning.

Let me know if we can help you out.

Are you taking aim at the one place i can think of that builds and tunes? LOL

mandkole

Reaction score
Yes, an injector building and tuning shop is not common, or necessary. Lots of good choices that do one or the other.

Id rather run a good stock turbo than risk using the D66. Some good upgrades to the stocker are coming out.

Any older engine, (especially 320K mile engines) needs a full cylinder seal/health check before spending a bunch of money on injectors and upgrades. I see that as wise and reduces un-met expectations and troubleshooting if the poor running isn't changed after installing the expensive parts.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Are you taking aim at the one place i can think of that builds and tunes? LOL

No shots fired here. Just saying not to make it a requirement, because it cuts down your options drastically.

I am sure you are referring to Swamps? Nothing against them at all. We tune for their injectors all the time.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Yea. I was referring to them. Ive never had a bad dxperience with them. They have saved me a lot if $$ and geadaches. I just used to think their trans tuning was too mushy but from what ive heard they might coulda fixed it by now. I live by a different set of criteria and as many don't like php they have always been my hands down favorite. Tuning kicks ass!

jvc1990

Reaction score
I finished the compression check on my truck.
Cold crank warm crank Idle
#1-420 #1-400 #1-490
#2-410 #2-425 #2-510
#7-390 #7-418 #7-490
#3-400 #3-410 #3-500
#4-420 #4-400 #4-500
#5-410 #5-420 #5-500
#6-390 #6-420 #6-500
#8-385 #8-420 #8-500

jvc1990

Reaction score
the spacing on the colums looked good before I posted.dont know what happened to it,but I'm sure you can understand what I was getting at.

Latest posts

Members online