Fuel Pressure Gauge

ja_cain

Reaction score
Trying to get a mechanical gauge plumbed into my buddy's ex and just wonder where is the best place to tap into. Also, what fittings are needed to go to npt. On my 7.3, I just bought an o-ring type fitting to npt that threaded into a plugged port on the filter housing. Not sure if the 6.0 has the same type of plug somewhere. Thanks for any info you guys have to offer!

Justin

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
On the 6.0, if you are running a standard fuel system, the best spot is in the front of the secondary filter bowl. This is here pressure is checked at. It is a 6mm allen plug by the upper hose. I believe the threads are m12x1.5 orb. Youll need an adapter to whatever size your gauge is. Auto meter sent me somewhere to get the adapter. I wanna say it was isspro or something. It was a gauge competitor they sent me to.

ja_cain

Reaction score
On the 6.0, if you are running a standard fuel system, the best spot is in the front of the secondary filter bowl. This is here pressure is checked at. It is a 6mm allen plug by the upper hose. I believe the threads are m12x1.5 orb. Youll need an adapter to whatever size your gauge is. Auto meter sent me somewhere to get the adapter. I wanna say it was isspro or something. It was a gauge competitor they sent me to.

Perfect! I should be able to scrounge one of those up. Thanks!

Decker

Reaction score
I thought iv read the icp port the same threads 12x1.5 and same size as the fuel port. Why not buy a eBay ICP pressure test kit comes with the adapter and is cheaper then your amazon find.

ja_cain

Reaction score
I thought iv read the icp port the same threads 12x1.5 and same size as the fuel port. Why not buy a eBay ICP pressure test kit comes with the adapter and is cheaper then your amazon find.

Sounds good! Will look into it.

*Edit*

You have a link to one you recommend?

Last edited:

dEmOnpwrstrk

Reaction score
Go to you tube and search 6.0 fpr gauge. The top one shows a $30 gauge hookup

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

dEmOnpwrstrk

Reaction score
He uses a grease gun fitting and cheap oil pressure gauge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
FWIW, IMO, measuring fuel pressure at the fuel bowl is doing nothing but convincing yourself you're OK. I've measured both at the bowl and behind the heads, and the numbers vary wildly. I think a lot of people would be more concerned with their fuel systems if they measured pressure behind the heads. I can drop pressure way past danger levels on nothing more than tunes...

ja_cain

Reaction score
FWIW, IMO, measuring fuel pressure at the fuel bowl is doing nothing but convincing yourself you're OK. I've measured both at the bowl and behind the heads, and the numbers vary wildly. I think a lot of people would be more concerned with their fuel systems if they measured pressure behind the heads. I can drop pressure way past danger levels on nothing more than tunes...

Good info! You have any pics of how you plumbed it in? What fittings did you use. Thanks!

Justin

Mdub707

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to do but my setup is different than most here would do, mainly because I was using a vegistroke system that fed fuel in from the back of the heads so I could just read pressure at that manifold. It read fuel pressure for me in both directions so I could see what diesel pressure was and what my veggie pressure was.

It wouldn't be too to do though. There are ports in the back of the heads, remove the plugs, and plumb in a crossover line with a "T" in it. Would be pretty easy to do with the use of a regulated return as well. That's another thing I never understood, regulating pressure before the injectors and not after, but some do it differently than others.

shmoozer

Reaction score
Say a guy had a full fuel system that removed the fuel bowl and fed the heads from the back. Where would be a good place to tie in for a mechanical gauge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
Ideally, in my eyes, you should be reading past the last injectors in the path of flow. So if it feeds in from the back I'd read at the front of the heads. The idea is to make sure all injectors are seeing the proper fuel pressure, right? So if you read at the bowl and you see 55psi, but your last two injectors are only getting 20psi, doesn't do much good in my eyes. All 8 injectors should see a minimum of 55psi or whatever you deem healthy.

Now on your system it's probably tied into a loop, so I'd be tempted to move the gauge around and see what readings you get in different spots.

shmoozer

Reaction score
My pressure regulator is plumbed in at the front of the heads before the fuel returns back to the tank. It's got an Aeromotive with a pressure gauge on it already. I should be able to remove it and use that port for my readings in cab right?

ja_cain

Reaction score
It's pretty easy to do but my setup is different than most here would do, mainly because I was using a vegistroke system that fed fuel in from the back of the heads so I could just read pressure at that manifold. It read fuel pressure for me in both directions so I could see what diesel pressure was and what my veggie pressure was.

It wouldn't be too to do though. There are ports in the back of the heads, remove the plugs, and plumb in a crossover line with a "T" in it. Would be pretty easy to do with the use of a regulated return as well. That's another thing I never understood, regulating pressure before the injectors and not after, but some do it differently than others.

Good info man. What thread are those plugs in the back of the heads? I have a tone of swagelok fittings and ss tubing at work that I could use.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
My pressure regulator is plumbed in at the front of the heads before the fuel returns back to the tank. It's got an Aeromotive with a pressure gauge on it already. I should be able to remove it and use that port for my readings in cab right?

I havemy gauge tied in where the mechanical gauge goes. It is after the injectors, so it should be reading the lowestpressure in the system.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Good info man. What thread are those plugs in the back of the heads? I have a tone of swagelok fittings and ss tubing at work that I could use.

They're exactly the same as the plug on the fuel bowl where everyone taps in for fuel pressure now. In fact the plugs are interchangeable. I believe it's M12x1.5

The issue back there is clearance. I have banjos back there so the lines right straight down coming out of the heads. I know some RR setups use 90* fittings, but that may be tight in some instances and hit on the up-pipes.

Latest posts

Members online