Should I still buy an H&S Mini Maxx????

MattDavis

Reaction score
Alright first things first I apologize for being the new guys that's basically going to ask the question that has been asked a thousand times. With that being said though I have read the forums and the stickys and there is enough information I could drown in. So I'm am looking some advice and people to walk me through this process so I don't F it up.

Ok so I have a 2008 F350 that is my daily driver and will be used to tow a 12,000-15,000lb trailer. The priority is to protect my truck.

Here we go and please advise

I am looking at this set up from performancetruckparts.com, a H&S Mini maxx race tuner with a FloPro 5inch down pipe back with muffler.

So here are my questions.

1. With H&S no longer doing business should I still buy their tuner and if so where and how can I get the files needed?

2. I have read some that the "race" tuner is not the one I want, so I this the wrong tuner?

3. Has anyone ever done business with this company and if so how was the experience? I have been in contact with them via email and they seem good so far and stated the tuner comes ready to go and any support will be done through them or via forums.

again I apologize for beating an old dead horse but the info was overwhelming and this tuner seems to have become hush hush since the EPA cracked down on them.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Alright first things first I apologize for being the new guys that's basically going to ask the question that has been asked a thousand times. With that being said though I have read the forums and the stickys and there is enough information I could drown in. So I'm am looking some advice and people to walk me through this process so I don't F it up.

Ok so I have a 2008 F350 that is my daily driver and will be used to tow a 12,000-15,000lb trailer. The priority is to protect my truck.

Here we go and please advise

I am looking at this set up from performancetruckparts.com, a H&S Mini maxx race tuner with a FloPro 5inch down pipe back with muffler.

So here are my questions.

1. With H&S no longer doing business should I still buy their tuner and if so where and how can I get the files needed?

2. I have read some that the "race" tuner is not the one I want, so I this the wrong tuner?

3. Has anyone ever done business with this company and if so how was the experience? I have been in contact with them via email and they seem good so far and stated the tuner comes ready to go and any support will be done through them or via forums.

again I apologize for beating an old dead horse but the info was overwhelming and this tuner seems to have become hush hush since the EPA cracked down on them.

call me, i will walk you thru all your options, and all the stuff that makes sense for your needs !

Squat and Poot

Reaction score
Mike's a great guy but short answer is yes a H&S Minimaxx will satiate all your needs and has shift on the fly capability between tunes.

MattDavis

Reaction score
Called the shop this morning, got exactly what I was hoping for. Spoke with Luke and he confirmed and reassured what I was wanting and the path I was on. Should be placing the order by the end of next week.

Thanks

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Called the shop this morning, got exactly what I was hoping for. Spoke with Luke and he confirmed and reassured what I was wanting and the path I was on. Should be placing the order by the end of next week.

Thanks

yeah buddy !

MattDavis

Reaction score
Again someone correct me if I'm crazy.

Getting the tune, pipes and an eye mod squared away with NoLimitFabtucation and more than likely there CAI at the same time and if not soon after.

My next line of business will be doing a coolant flush and adding the CCV mod and the sinister coolant and oil filtration system.

My trucks an 08 350 with 111,000 miles on it. I've owned it since 99,000 miles.

MattDavis

Reaction score
Guess I'm on the right track but you can piece together a pretty good play book using this forum.

MattDavis

Reaction score
Everytime I'm convinced I read these damn stories about the mini maxx killing the 6.4. especially powerstrokehelp.com (iknow....Iknow).

So is it the mini maxx or improper care and being a dumbass?

Really want to protect her. After the tuner, exhaust and CAI from no limit fab. Than CCV mod. Than sinister diesel coolant and oil filtration system.

So is the mini maxx good for the 6.4 or bad.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Everytime I'm convinced I read these damn stories about the mini maxx killing the 6.4. especially powerstrokehelp.com (iknow....Iknow).

So is it the mini maxx or improper care and being a dumbass?

Really want to protect her. After the tuner, exhaust and CAI from no limit fab. Than CCV mod. Than sinister diesel coolant and oil filtration system.

So is the mini maxx good for the 6.4 or bad.

right now, you are your own worst enemy . reading the genius of powerstrokehelp is only killing brain cells. he has smoked himself stupid .

MattDavis

Reaction score
Alright so I'm basically a novice with diesel engines and my over all mechanical skill is about the level of being able to take apart the puzzle and put it back together by trial and error without really knowing our understanding the why's.

So was hoping to get some more advice from you on what I should be monitoring and there proper ranges.

So as far as the four gauges I should be monitoring with my mini maxx I have it down to EGTs, EOT, and ECT. So what do you recommend I monitor with forth?

What are the proper ranges for them all to be operating in and what should I set my safety levels to?

Outside of the main four what else should be checking on?

Thanks for your help

ckrueg

Reaction score
I would usually monitor EBP or ICP (fuel rail pressure) as excessive ebp can be a problem on these 6.4s and fuel rail pressure problems can help identify a dying hpfp. Just watch that your EOT and ECT are within 10 or so degrees, and I would want to keep them below 240. As for max EGT, for sustained use stay below 1250, but if its for less than a minute you should be fine to go higher

Last edited:

RSK

Reaction score
The h&s isn't bad for the 6.4. Driving it like you stole it is what's not good for it. Custom tunes seem to help these trucks live. Mines at 161k no issues. I also always let it warm up 10-15 mins before driving it and do fuel filters 2x a year and oil changes every 5-6k with ford filters only. Egr ****** will help it live longer, also putting a wastegate will help aleveiate backpressure issues, and if you do that you will help the truck live longer as well.

Latest posts

Members online