Injection numbers feedback

ja_cain

Reaction score
My buddy has been messing around with this truck for a while and it keeps butting him in the rear. I finally convinced him to drop it off at my house so I can hook the monitor up to it and see what's going on. It was a little cold today, so could not get it I put to a real good temp on my way to work. Did a couple wot pulls on the highway. Here is a screen shot. Injectors were recently replaced, fuel pump and fuel pickup replaced. I don't think he has replaced the Ipr, but will get clarification. I have everything to hook up the fuel pressure gauge, just need to find some time to do it. It usually dies while driving for 30 minutes or more on the highway. I'm almost thinking it might be a leaky Ipr oring or somthing like that that rears it's head when the oil is hot and thin. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wot numbers. Ipr number looks a little high.

75af17680969f40c47a433ad05922dbd.jpg

Idle numbers once I got to work.

5d68e0bbb61735cb61827168c3e21f5d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ja_cain

Reaction score
IPR #'s are high given the associated ICP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Thanks Cory! After doing a little digging on the interweb, I have come to the same conclusion. I'm going to wait for a nice warm day and then hit the road and see what I come up with. I'm not sure they fooled with the Ipr when they b-proophed it. Orings may be leaky/bad. It's not the easiest thing to get too either. Or at least it doesn't look like it.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Does it fall on its face @wot?
It just goes along fine and for about 20 to 30 minutes and then steadily dies in about 2 minutes. Hope to get the fuel pressure gauge hooked up before I take it for a long spin.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What year? Typically 6.0 ipr orings dont leak. Had quite a few iprs fail electrically, mostly they have chit run thru them and stick. If its an early pump, the seal could be pushing out, or the pump could be failing mechanically. If its a late pump, could be stc, dummy tubes, stand pipes, etc... Had one recently the plug on the drivers oil rail where the icp would be was leaking and causing cold start issues.

ja_cain

Reaction score
What year? Typically 6.0 ipr orings dont leak. Had quite a few iprs fail electrically, mostly they have chit run thru them and stick. If its an early pump, the seal could be pushing out, or the pump could be failing mechanically. If its a late pump, could be stc, dummy tubes, stand pipes, etc... Had one recently the plug on the drivers oil rail where the icp would be was leaking and causing cold start issues.

I think it's an early 04 Excursion. Supposedly had standpipes and dummy plugs replaced with updated parts when b-proophed. It's annoying that it never throws a code when it dies. It does not have the stock tunning and I wonder if this would interfere with that. Thinking about flashing with the stock tune if that would help diagnose the problem. Now that I have a monitor on it, I should be able to catch what's going on if on the oil side.

Afaik, all sensors are still original. He has a new icp sensor in the glove box. He said that he had someone check it for oil in the plug and everything looked ok. Ipr has never been touched. The problem definitly seems to be temperature dependant as it never dies on short trips.

Will update thread with any other important information that I come across. Thanks again for your help!

ja_cain

Reaction score
when it dies, does it fire right back up?
There was one instance were he couldn't get it started and had it towed. All the other times it usually starts right back up within a minute or two. We he gets it started it runs like a raped ape for a few minutes and then does it again. Definitely seems like it is heat activated.

Latest posts

Members online