Opinions on 5" exhaust..

D66stroke

Reaction score
Sorry guys I know this topic is old and probably annoying but I'm looking for the best possible sound with FULL exhaust (no side pipe, no stack, etc). Youtube hasn't done much justice and nobody around me has 5" on an OBS. My 4" straight pipe is really quiet for some reason, and has more exhaust leaks than I have fingers on one hand due to people that say they "can" weld.. So time for something new. Drone is not an issue with me, I don't tow alot and most importantly I'm tired of the truck sounding like it has a muffler. So do you like 5" straight pipe, does it sound good, or should I just buy new 4"?

Strokersace

Reaction score
This topic had been covered multiple times for years and years. Even recently. You need to search and you'll find your answers.

D66stroke

Reaction score
This topic had been covered multiple times for years and years. Even recently. You need to search and you'll find your answers.

Hence the "Sorry guys I know these posts are old and annoying".. Pretty sure these forums would be dead if people didn't ask the same things that were covered 10 years ago. If I found exactly what I was wanting to know I wouldn't have posted, but I posted, so what's that tell you? Feel free to link those threads, thanks!

D66stroke

Reaction score
Had 4" straight piped and with a bullet muffler......now I have 5" straight piped---> way better sound. With the 5" pipe, there is no more flutter. The 5" is more throaty.

Billy T.
[email protected]

Yeah I figured it would be deeper. I just wasn't sure if it still had a pop to it under half-full throttle like 4" straight (except mine lol) or stock 3.5" straight. My previous 97 had a mean throaty crackle sound to it with 4" so I'm not sure what happened with the current truck lol

D66stroke

Reaction score
Thank you, skimmed through it and saw 1 comment about 5" on a OBS and the guy said it sounded really good compared to the previous 4". I was just specifically curious about 94-97 trucks. I know, a 7.3 is a 7.3 but SD and OBS sound a little different imo, I guess due to exhaust housing size on the turbo maybe. But again that's why I was trying to get opinions from people that have it on 94-97 trucks

fordman67

Reaction score
I had opportunity to ride in my buddies 5" equipped obs with 366&180/80s a while back. It was more throaty and less cakeley than my4" . I will be upgrading to 4" dp and 5" here soon. I liked the tone much better.

JCart

Reaction score
I've had both and I like 4" with a resonator on it, takes out the harsh note especially when towing (compared to straight through 4"). 5" aft of rear axle can be a snug to no fit, if you run a larger tank like gaser 38 gallon one along with the spare under there. 5" is much deeper sound, mine came with one and a muffler, PO had egg shaped the tip and fed it between the rear spring and body... I pulled it off as I didn't care for the look.

j

gnxtc2

Reaction score
. 5" aft of rear axle can be a snug to no fit, if you run a larger tank like gaser 38 gallon one along with the spare under there. 5" is much deeper sound, mine came with one and a muffler,

j

It fits.....with the 38 gallon tank and stock sized spare tire. Just trimmed the rear tank skid plate on the corner.

Billy T.
[email protected]

freddie

Reaction score
You'll love the sound of the 5". But the Diamond Eye 5" tailpipe fitment SUCKS. I know I am not alone in that opinion.

I have cut and welded mine for a better exit.

Strokersace

Reaction score
You'll love the sound of the 5". But the Diamond Eye 5" tailpipe fitment SUCKS. I know I am not alone in that opinion.

I have cut and welded mine for a better exit.
1000% correct. Diamond eye does not have a good fit IMO. I had to cut and weld old 5" as well.

D66stroke

Reaction score
Just now seeing all these replies lol. Anyway I ended up getting it and it's just been sitting in the box in the garage since I'm wanting to get a crew cab, so no sense in putting new exhaust on my truck just to sell it

Latest posts

Members online