SuperDuty 4wd Conversion?

Karpen

Reaction score
Cat_Rebel what advice do you have for me. I'm about to attempt this.

I have a late 99 F250 7.3 2wd and a doner truck which is a late 99 F250 5.4 gas 4x4. For now I'm just looking to get the axle and leaf springs converted over. It'll be a rolling free axle until I get the money to find a zf6 transfer case and all that. For now I'm just focused on getting it drivable with the solid axle under it in the front.

My question. after removing the 2wd front end, is it as simple as bolting the leafs in to my 2wd frame? I think all the holes are already there. And as you said before the steering components are different. That's okay as I have the entire doner truck to pick from.

BigRed97

Reaction score

I have a late 99 F250 7.3 2wd and a doner truck which is a late 99 F250 5.4 gas 4x4. For now I'm just looking to get the axle and leaf springs converted over. It'll be a rolling free axle until I get the money to find a zf6 transfer case and all that. For now I'm just focused on getting it drivable with the solid axle under it in the front.

My question. after removing the 2wd front end, is it as simple as bolting the leafs in to my 2wd frame? I think all the holes are already there. And as you said before the steering components are different.
That's okay as I have the entire doner truck to pick from.

Yes. It all just bolts in. My 2wd truck actually had the front spring hangers already there too
You'll have to loosen or.remove the steering box to change out the pitman arm unless you have a low profile pitman arm puller

Cat_rebel

Reaction score

My question. after removing the 2wd front end, is it as simple as bolting the leafs in to my 2wd frame? I think all the holes are already there. And as you said before the steering components are different. That's okay as I have the entire doner truck to pick from.

Everything bolts in after you get the 2wd coil buckets off. You'll need a grinder & punch/air hammer to get the rivets out. After that everything from the doner truck will swap over. Gas & Diesel front ends interchange.

TrillStroke

Reaction score
This is an old thread currently wanting to do the same leafspring 4wd swap 7.3 zf6 conversion can i have my transmission adapted to a 4wd tcase somehow?

JMart

Reaction score
This is an old thread currently wanting to do the same leafspring 4wd swap 7.3 zf6 conversion can i have my transmission adapted to a 4wd tcase somehow?

You either have to get a divorced transfer case, or you will need the trans rebuilt to be converted to a 4wd to mount to a normal Tcase. The output shaft is the first thing that goes in when building a 4r trans. You can't change it without a full tear down.

txmitch68

Reaction score
Can we bring this one back? I am currently doing this 2wd to 4x4 conversion on a 2000 F250. The doner parts are from 2005 4x4. I am installing a Procomp 8" lift at the same time. Everything I read said this was a bolt on conversion. The rear end was pretty much bolt on. I had some issues with passenger side shock mounting in the rear. The 2wd truck had both shocks mounting up and to the rear. the 05 has drivers side mounting rear and passenger side mounting front. does it matter if I keep them both mounting rear on the 05 axle? Now on the front end, the holes are not in the frame for the track bar bracket. It looks like 1 might be there. Ill look at it closer in the morning. The 2wd didnt have sway bar at all. no hole for the sway bar mounts either. at this point I'll be drilling holes cause I'm too far down this rabbit hole. Any input would be AWESOME! Thanks

Betarocker

Reaction score
In 2005 Ford changed the rear shock mounting from both aft of the axle to left aft and the right forward in order to control axle wrap better. My 2004 4wd had both on the back side of the axle. Traction bars do a better job at controlling wrap, so determine which will be the easier task; moving the shock mount to the rear of the axle or adding one on the chassis.

The leaf spring 4wd had the anti-sway bar chassis mount rearward of the front axle, and again the 2005 model year is when things changed. Due to the radius arm design and available space, the anti-sway bar was located tot he front of the axle, so the holes might not be present to do the swap without drilling some new holes. It's not a big deal, other than make sure you use quality bits because the chassis steel is hard. If you know someone with a 2005+ 4wd, take a look to see how it goes together.

I can't help with the differences in the tracbar bracket between the different model years. You'll need to see where holes line up and add as required. Might want to check to see if the tracbar from the 05 fits on (between) the previous year bracket. The 2000-04 tracbar bracket should bolt onto the 2wd chassis.

Another thing to check is the sector shaft diameter of the older steering box will work with the 05 pitman arm. Again there were changes in the last almost 2 decades of Super Duties.

Strokersace

Reaction score
I converted an 04 to an 05+ suspension this past spring.

The frames are very similar.

On the front, the holes are there, you may just need to drill them out. For the radius arm brackets, you'll need to build a 3/8" spacer for the holes to line up. The sway bar mounts are welded to frame up front, they'll be the same mount as the 2wd. The only holes I really had to drill from scratch we're for the track bar bracket. Once you get the coil bucket on driver's side mounted, it's pretty easy to align the bracket and know where to drill. I also swapped out the steering box for the 05+and just had to drill the holes in the frame bigger.

The rear was simple. For the shocks, I kept it the 04 way and didn't have any issues. Just swapped how the mount clamps to the axle. Once you get the location set, throw a stitch weld on it to keep it extra secure.

I don't have any pictures but I'd be happy to help.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.