2017 Patriot Tuning Reviews

Reaction score
Does it matter what probe from exhaust, or any of them will work?

I noticed that the very last probe down the line after the *** has a different thread size on it that wont work. So I used one of the ones prior to the *** by the way. At least thats how it was with the No Limit block off plates. Im sure any temp probe that isnt post *** would be the same thread size.

Reaction score
What kind of boost and EGT are you seeing out of the 600 file?

I would love to be able to answer those two questions for you, but unfortunately if I get on it I dont watch any of the gauges, just the road. If its going to break in a WOT scenario, its going to break. I doubt I would be able to catch it in time to stop it even if I saw high EGTs. As far as cruising at 70 goes on flat ground, it runs pretty cool EGTs wise 700-800 ish, and 3-5 psi boost. Great MPGs for me at least around that speed on the interstate empty. Typically I see 18-20 hand calculated on a long trip. The highest Ive seen is 21 on a long trip where there was no wind (very rare to have no wind in Illinois haha).

Any more updates/feedback from people running Patriot tunes?

I actually also just switched from the straight 600 file to the SOTF switch a few weeks ago. I absolutely LOVE the SOTF set up! Its been working flawlessly. My main reason for wanting the SOTF switch is due to the winter cold. I wanted to be able to keep it on stock HP until its all warmed up and then I can turn it to whatever I want. That or if Im towing occasionally. The shifting is spot on and the truck even runs great on all the HP settings too The switch has 5 settings and is a plug and play harness to the CAC2 temp sensor connector. Stock, 450rwhp, 500rwhp, 550rwhp, 600rwhp.

qzillanut

Reaction score
I would seriously buy this kit tomorrow if it weren’t for all the negatives. Warranty. Questionable everything concerning patriot /spertain. And yeah other options soon. Convince me. I have too much to lose.

BigDflyer

Reaction score
Also hoping for updates. Tuner said to wai until Jan/Feb to do the deal so software in the tunes could get mature. Thinking EZ/PPEi as a first option but I’m really interested in what I’m hearing here!

theplumber27

Reaction score
so i just read

so i just read on this forum but now I cannot find it now, That patriot tuning on our 2017 Powerstrokes where spinning bearings like they used to?

maxxedout

Reaction score
so i just read on this forum but now I cannot find it now, That patriot tuning on our 2017 Powerstrokes where spinning bearings like they used to?

I haven't heard anything about spun bearings, but I know there were a couple 15-16 guys that spun the crank gear. Supposedly, the transmission shifting was so firm that the engine RPM would drop so suddenly the rotating mass of the engine would overcome the crank gear's tension, and it would move a couple degrees. I don't know how widespread of an issue this is or if anyone with a 2017 has wrecked an engine.

sootie

Reaction score
I haven't heard anything about spun bearings, but I know there were a couple 15-16 guys that spun the crank gear. Supposedly, the transmission shifting was so firm that the engine RPM would drop so suddenly the rotating mass of the engine would overcome the crank gear's tension, and it would move a couple degrees. I don't know how widespread of an issue this is or if anyone with a 2017 has wrecked an engine.

a lot more than a couple...

maxxedout

Reaction score
I'm really curious about the trucks that have spun the crank gear. Is this issue isolated to 15-16 trucks, or do the 2017's potentially have the same weakness?

I think Ford changed the crank for 2015 model year, but I'm not sure if it was changed again for 2017. Is it a 2015+ crankshaft-to-gear fitment issue, or just something that manifested because the 2015+ trucks make more power with just a tune than previous model years? I ran the piss out of my 2012 with a 15 HPFP and StreetMax turbo for 50K miles, and never had any bottom end issues. My Midwest transmission tunes were spot on, so I wonder how much firmer Patriot is making these trucks shift?

I'm no engineer, but I would imagine the crank gear is more prone to coming loose on a truck with a cold engine that is run too aggressively before warmup. As the engine comes up to operating temperature, the crank would expand a small amount, and make the gear fit tighter. Nonetheless, this is not good news if you've seen several trucks with this issue.

Jomax

Reaction score
I think it’s tuning. I never had an issue and I ran my 2015 hard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Any links that verify this? Only asking because i haven't seen anything either.

Call Midwest and ask how many engines they have built due to crank gear. I've seen more on Facebook than I can even begin to count.

Fwiw.... It's not just 15-16 trucks. Plenty of them with big turbo and fuel to support.

15-16 just got them because they could put out more than a 11-14 tune only.

04cr450

Reaction score
What is the remedy for this. Take the crank put and weld it? Ill never do it as i have a light foot, owners like myself should never have this issue no?

sootie

Reaction score
What is the remedy for this. Take the crank put and weld it? Ill never do it as i have a light foot, owners like myself should never have this issue no?

correct. but seeing as that requires full disassembly, most people build the motor at the same time.

CATDiezel

Reaction score

I would like to think a like footed driver would not experience any issues. I'm one also. But occasionally do use all the throttle. However it's at higher rpm. For that reason I run a higher shift point tune. "Raised shift point"

I saw one 16 model that was a grandpa truck. Guy had local shop do ****** and he went on test drive. 15 minutes later it needed an engine due to spun gear. They actually got ford to warranty it.

maxxedout

Reaction score
Well, this certainly makes me skeptical about Patriot’s tunes. It’s a shame because there’s a lot of good feedback out there, and the promise of OST for our trucks is pretty damn cool.

Has anyone heard of a crank gear failure on a 2017?

Jomax

Reaction score
Fingers crossed this 17 is as good as my 2015. Most of my spirited driving is at higher speeds so I should be fine. But I guess we’ll see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online