New build

Tmtbob

Reaction score
I picked up a nice f350 back in august and I’m looking to build an engine for it. I’ve done some research on putting a 5.9 in or even a small cat engine but I can build a solid 6.4 definitely cheaper and without headaches of getting everything working right and get it done faster. Already picked up a complete engine minus a head fuel pump and injectors. The block is at the machine shop. Does anyone with experience on these have any recommendations on how I should go about this. This is my first 6.4 but have a 7.3 and had a 6.0.
One question I have is on the heads. Are they rebuildable or should I be looking for a set and if so where from. This is gonna be a work pickup so horsepower wise I’m looking for around 500. I know I could spend a ton on this but I’m just looking for a good puller that is dependable. What would you consider is a must for this.
I did talk to white_rhino on some tuning and head gaskets but that was before I picked up this engine and decided to build and replace. Thanks for any help and advise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Roccafellas

Reaction score
I picked up a nice f350 back in august and I’m looking to build an engine for it. I’ve done some research on putting a 5.9 in or even a small cat engine but I can build a solid 6.4 definitely cheaper and without headaches of getting everything working right and get it done faster. Already picked up a complete engine minus a head fuel pump and injectors. The block is at the machine shop. Does anyone with experience on these have any recommendations on how I should go about this. This is my first 6.4 but have a 7.3 and had a 6.0.
One question I have is on the heads. Are they rebuildable or should I be looking for a set and if so where from. This is gonna be a work pickup so horsepower wise I’m looking for around 500. I know I could spend a ton on this but I’m just looking for a good puller that is dependable. What would you consider is a must for this.
I did talk to white_rhino on some tuning and head gaskets but that was before I picked up this engine and decided to build and replace. Thanks for any help and advise.

Depending on how crazy you want to get
Mine costed me about 15k and I love it
Beat the **** out of it and it’s never let me down, and pulls a 12lbs fifth wheel like nothings behind it and I can WOT it up hills,

But for clients it’s different from mild to wild

Ceramic coated delipped pistons if blocks good than STD size is ok
Mahle Clevite bearings
Balanced rotating assembly
New lifters
New rocker assemblies
Factory cam and pushrods are fine, but if you want that little bit of extra and have some spare cash
Stage 1or2 cam, fly cut pistons needed for stage 2
High rev valve springs and chromoly pushrods
Factory manifolds or aftermarket manifolds
I usually do 6.0 manifolds since they flow better but up to you how crazy you wanna go
Stainless after market up pipes for sure, so you wont be back in there afterwards for blown bellows,
Brand new hpfp from ford, even tho they’re all remans now,
Ported intake manifold-not needed* but gives an extra seat of your pants hp gain plus Oliver is awesome to deal with.
New injectors
Cold side pipe
Intake elbow
Aftermarket radiator since factor’s blow end caps
Stock intercoolers fine
But again aftermarket options available better throttle response, cooler egts and iat temps plus more solid, i blew mine apart at 50psi of boost
H11 headstuds
Or go Arp if you wish
H11’s are cheap now through No Limit and have more tensile strength Mike’s awesome as well to deal with.
New ford or maxxforce 7 gaskets ONLY although others have had luck with felpro and mahle id invest in factory oem.
Coolant filter
Brand new oil cooler

Heads don’t have built in valve guides so if they wear it’s new Head time, Kill Devil Diesel makes a great set of aftermarket heads re-engineered with bronze replaceable valve guides better flow and complete new cast so it eliminates cracking which almost every 6.4 and 6.0 has, doesn’t affect drivability until it gets too severe you put exhaust gasses into your coolant.

That engine will be able to withstand repeated daily driving with intended pulling as you wish, aftermarket torque converter is an option if you plan on hot rodding it
Otherwise the 5r110w is just fine for 550 and down, and not constant abuse.

That setup with a good tune should net you near 600hp and reliable

ncollins64

Reaction score
Contact kill devil diesel for a solid engine and all the parts needed. He has new heads and blocks not used or remans, all the valve train upgrades etc.

Tmtbob

Reaction score
I been checking kill devil out. Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Anything else you guys or anyone can think of is greatly appreciated.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Contact Jared at kill devil and he will steer you in the right direction and not sale you anything you don’t need. Each customers needs and wants are different, I’ve sold a few of his engines and he’s been nothing but great to deal with.

Tmtbob

Reaction score
Finally got ahold of kill devil and ordered what I needed except the injectors. I’ll get it built and order them in a few weeks when I need them. Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll be asking plenty of questions when I get started on this also. It will be my first powerstroke to build. I have plenty of experience in big cat engines but never an ih

Tmtbob

Reaction score
All the parts showed up yesterday. Machine shop should be done with my block in a week or so and I’ll be ready to build. Does anyone know where I can get a service or shop manual for this. It be handy to have since I do my own wrenching and since I’m not the one who tore this engine down