Irate regulated return

greyford1979

Reaction score
Was looking at picking up Irates complete standard fuel kit for my truck. And before anyone says to just build my own, I just don't feel like going that route lol. My question is does anybody have experience with the deatschwerks pump it comes with? I only found one thread on the site about it, but it didn't go any where. Would it be more wise to get the competition system with the fuel lab pump even though my truck will never be at the kind of power levels it can support. Or maybe buy an extra pump just in case of failure? Or can the stock pump be used in it's place if it were to die and a replacement was installed. Just don't wanna be stuck somewhere, but have no problems with replacing on the side of the road if need be lol.

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
In for the discussion.

I have no problems with the kit having the pump it does. They’re a good brand and irate wouldn’t put it in the kit if it wouldn’t do what it’s supposed to. That being said I’m not sure which kit I’m getting from irate either.

DieselDC

Reaction score
What are your goals? If you’re staying under 500hp, your fuel bowl + fuel line kits will be more than adequate. If you want the kit just b/c then I see nothing wrong with that desire either.

—————signature—————
~Don’t overthink something simple~
...:uptight people suck:...

emev0l

Reaction score
I sell quite a few Irate fuel systems, really good quality and a very fair price for what you get.

I have had 1 Deatsch Werks fuel pump fail after 1 week on a customers truck, they have a 2 year warranty and there was no issue with getting a replacement.

The Deatsch Werks pumps will handle up to 250/200’s, I personally don’t like running anything at it’s limit if there is another reasonable option.

I’ve sold and installed a lot of Fuelab 41401 pumps and have never had a failure, they’ll work with any size injector, they make a lot of pumps and they are always available and you can get a replacement anytime.

It’s $1,075 with the Deatsch Werks pump and $1,350 with the Fuelab pump

7.3obs

Reaction score
I dyi my setup and it was a pain. Think you have everything and then you’re waiting on that one fittings you forgot to order! I went with a fuel lab pump and had trouble. I thought it was losing its prime. I messed with it some more and ended up sending it off to fuel lab. Got it fixed free of charge. Josh Davis was who I delt with and he said the soldering on one of the components on the control bored were bad. Had it back in about a week. Haven’t had a seconds problem with it yet. Killer pump for sure and isn’t too loud.

But as said above for the Deatsch pumps, irate wouldn’t sell junk. Great company to deal with!

greyford1979

Reaction score
I didn't think that they would use bad pumps, just hadn't really heard about the Deatschwerks pump in diesel applications. I know they're more popular with the import crowd. Knowing me, I think no matter what I go with I'll probably carry a spare of some sort. I carry spares of a bunch of stuff in my truck lol.

mcnance865

Reaction score
I have the DW pump on mine and have had zero issues so far. Granted, I've only put about 3,500 miles on it, but holds above 60 psi no matter how much go pedal I give it.

greyford1979

Reaction score
I have the DW pump on mine and have had zero issues so far. Granted, I've only put about 3,500 miles on it, but holds above 60 psi no matter how much go pedal I give it.

Good to hear. I'll probably be pulling the trigger here soon. Just didn't wanna have it sitting around till I have time to install it. I already have some other stuff sitting around waiting to be installed lol.

greyford1979

Reaction score
Ok so when installing the fuel system, it says to connect the return to the old supply line for a higher flowing return. Says nothing about removing the factory pump though. So do you just leave it in place? Because if you remove then the supply line will obviously have a gap where it's not connected. Dumb question I know lol, but just wanna make sure that's what they intend you to do. Other than that the only issue is installing the fitting in the rear driver's side head. Have to disconnect my up pipe, hope I can get the bolts out. Thought it might move just enough with the bellows to get it in, but no dice.

Last edited:

greyford1979

Reaction score
What t-4 kit do you have. Wondering if I can look forward to disconnecting up pipes as well.

Actually I have a KC38R at the moment, so I still have the stock style up pipes, just bellowed. If the T4 up pipes are just as close to the head as the stock ones, you'll most likely have to disconnect it to thread the 90 degree fitting on the driver's side head. I can't even get one turn on the fitting, it hits the up pipe. Actually had to remove the turbo also, couldn't fit my hand to thread the passenger side fitting either. Need baby hands lol.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Actually I have a KC38R at the moment, so I still have the stock style up pipes, just bellowed. If the T4 up pipes are just as close to the head as the stock ones, you'll most likely have to disconnect it to thread the 90 degree fitting on the driver's side head. I can't even get one turn on the fitting, it hits the up pipe. Actually had to remove the turbo also, couldn't fit my hand to thread the passenger side fitting either. Need baby hands lol.

Ok. Thanks. Unfortunately I didn’t get to install the kit so I have no clue how tight it is back there.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Irate system doesn’t come win a pump. Unless you purchased one.

You will need a filter post pump. Use existing pump or plumb in a new one.

—————signature—————

greyford1979

Reaction score
Irate system doesn’t come win a pump. Unless you purchased one.

You will need a filter post pump. Use existing pump or plumb in a new one.

—————signature—————

Yeah I got the complete system with pump and filters. I just need to know what to do with the oe pump. It says to hook the return line from the regulator to the existing supply line for a higher flowing return. But if you remove the oe pump there is a section of line that is no longer connected. I just wasn't sure if you leave the pump in and it just flows back through the existing pump to the tank. Of course I probably could've just emailed Matt at Irate about it by now lol.

DieselDC

Reaction score
Like I said above, plumb in the new pump. You can do one of two things with the pump: 1- give it to me 2 - sell it. You will need to make up the difference in gap.

—————signature—————

greyford1979

Reaction score
Forgot to say I finally got the fuel system all done. No leaks so far so that's good lol. Nice to set the fuel pressure to exactly what you want.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.