97 7.3 Loss of power , no start.

7.3strokin

Reaction score
i was driving down the highway & noticed that i lost power, pulled off the side of the road thinking my transmission was messedup. than i could hear the engine sounding like it was loping, sounded alot like it was starving for fuel. i dident have any white smoke comeout (assuming it was my injectors i figured smoke always comes with them expecially since i felt like i was on half cylinders) i called a tow truck waited for 4 hours lol. got tired of waiting wanted to see if i could find a problem i tried to start it it started loping again, & than it idled fine but still had a weird sound to it it dident sound like a powerstroke. than it died & never fired up after that.
whats the chances that i had 2 or more injectors just fail on me? safe to assume thats the problem & buy a set?

97 f250 , 175,000 miles. thanks!

dmd

Reaction score
Could be most anything with those descriptions, need a lot more investigation.

Do you hvev any scan tools?

7.3strokin

Reaction score
as far as i know the injector harness has not been replaced, how would i go about testing this?. does the 97s have a obd2? you can scan from? i was told there wasent but mever investigated myself. ill know more when i get home. im going to see if the fuel bowl will fill up after i drain it. other than that i really domt know where to start, its my first diesel & my first big problem with it.

7.3strokin

Reaction score
i also forgot that it did not throw a check engine light or anything. i thaught maybe fuel was contaminated because it happened without any signs that anything was even going wrong.

Last edited:

dsberman94

Reaction score
CHECK THE OIL LEVEL!! They don’t just run rough and die like that for no reason. 175,000 miles the injectors are probably still fine. Injector harness plastic will deteriorate from life in an oily environment. They can also rub through. You can ohm them out with a multimeter. Every vehicle after 1996 is required to have an OBD2 port.

7.3strokin

Reaction score
okay i will check the level when i get home. if its low? do i just fill it up & try to start it? font have to do anything special for the hpop?

7.3strokin

Reaction score
i took the lid off the fuel bowl, drained the fuel, closed it back up. turned my key, & the fuel bowl does not fill up with fuel, i gave it a crank to see if it would than & it still did not fill up. fuel pump gone bad?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If it’s still the stock fuel system, you need to crank the engine to fill the bowl.

7.3strokin

Reaction score
i cranked it for a good while. & it never started to fill up. it would try to turn over sometimes, & the engine itself still dident sound like it should.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
If you could suction fuel coming from the supply line, that would tell you if the pump is bad.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Could be in the tank, the selector valve or a hole in the line somewhere. If it does it on both tanks is after the selector valve.

Latest posts

Members online