Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > West Point > The Library > 1994-1997 OBS Series General

Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 tx pwr stroke View Post
Ok, so for the dumberer of us out there, what is the difference between doing this and doing the HID kits offered by others? Are the others just bulbs without the projector or???
most of the ebay kits are just bulbs and ballast's ment to be put in your stock reflector headlights, which is a big no no...

The link I have in the write up is everything but head lamp housings to do a HID projector Retrofit. When you get a retro fit done it gives a clean cut of the light out put and does not blind drivers at all when they are aligned like a normal light bulb.

Never Lift Racecars
Dodge Towing Mirror Conversion
Old 03-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 tx pwr stroke View Post
Ok, so for the dumberer of us out there, what is the difference between doing this and doing the HID kits offered by others? Are the others just bulbs without the projector or???
The "other" way is an HID bulb that has been re-based to fit into a Halogen housing - some people have made it work successfully, but most times the housings are too different and it causes the light to scatter uncontrollably - most notably in the "low beam" setting where you need to be able to control the light output to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. Some guys have had good luck installing HIDs into both halogen reflectors and halogen projector housings - but that is not the norm.

Videos

If its not broke - add power until it is.

RDRCM #45
Old 03-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT View Post
I had found that I never needed or used the High Beams once the HIDS were installed... they were plenty bright.
Interesting.... just how does that work - you have the cutoff so light doesn't get projected up too far (or out too far) - don't you use the high beams for distance out in the country while driving? I guess I can't even fathom not using my high beams and don't really understand how that is even possible or safe.

On Edit: I should also add that my Dmax is going to be lifted pretty good, so my "low beams" will be aimed down quite a bit to be safe for traffic.

Videos

If its not broke - add power until it is.

RDRCM #45
Old 03-06-2012, 02:52 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

The only thing the HID high beams did for me was light up the signs that were up higher and farther away, not much more than that. The amount the little reflector shield moves isnt a whole lot.

Never Lift Racecars
Old 03-06-2012, 02:56 PM
Major
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangMatt96GT View Post
The link I have in the write up is everything but head lamp housings to do a HID projector Retrofit. When you get a retro fit done it gives a clean cut of the light out put and does not blind drivers at all when they are aligned like a normal light bulb.
And this can be done in any headlight housing? I really like the look of these as well as the functionality. Doesn't look as "ricer" as most projectors I've seen for our trucks.

03 F250 6.0 CCSB Lariat FX4, 230k
Typical first mods....******d, studded, tuned, exhausted, not running...
Old 03-06-2012, 11:04 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

For the most part, the SD head lamp is big enough to fit no issues. But some of the smaller head lamps have a fitment issue.

Never Lift Racecars
Old 01-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Nice write up. We haven't seen any resistance value issues affecting the PCM that cause transmission failures with HID conversions. Resistance changes from LED light conversions have long been a major cause of transmission failures. Several TSB's have been published covering multiple issues from LED conversions. Even the LED instrument panel light conversations cause PCM strategy errors that result in erratic transmission and torque converter clutch operation resulting either in damage or failure. So far, properly done HID conversions haven't caused any of the problems or generated technical service bulletins like the LED conversions have.
I'm glad you mentioned Ebay, aka low quality products too! If you have a high performance vehicle: Ebay, discount and other low cost and low priced goods are the exact opposite of high performance products. Ebay is for businesses that can't afford a website with online ordering and sellers of used items - period!

RACER X USA sponsors Powerstroke Army.com

Watch POWERFLOW BY RACER X on Video! Featuring Ford's 7.3L Powerstroke Diesel with Racer X Custom Built Automatic Transmission, Custom Twin Turbos and Custom Fuel System injecting 473 cc's of diesel & nitrous for 800 r.w.h.p!