Go Back   PowerStrokeArmy > Power Strokes > 7.3 Aftermarket

Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countrycar View Post
Yes sir, it's a little infuriating that no one seems to have this info. I'll tell yah what fellas, If some one would build a set of bolt on Production Aluminum heads for this engine, I would jump on it. Sure prices would push to the 5-6K + with out a doubt, but I'd jump on it with out even thinking twice. Just my 2 cents.
I just might have a set by next year.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
E99 CCLB 4X4 SRW F350,Billstein5100s,X-code front leafs, 35" Nitto TG's on 22" Incubus', GTP38R w/ WW2 140V Mod'd IDM, Billet intakes, AFE stg II CAI, 4" Diamond Eye T/B SS exh, BTS trans w/P.I. tc, 6.0L cooler, FF 250/200% SS's, ******** Stg I cam, CompCams 910 springs, Smith Bros HD push rods, Insight CTS, Forged bottom end, PHP Hydra, Firestone Airbags, All Amsoil fluids, Stealth 1.1 HPOP, ARP studs, My Modified Fuel System & HPOP lines, AGR steering gear
Old 05-29-2020, 02:19 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post

Oh boy, now you got me going! Please fill us in when you put this together.
Very exciting news!..
Old 06-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...#post-16407619

54cfm @.600" lift

No answer to my back cut on the valves..... That improves airflow under.400" lift and broadens your torque curve....
Old 06-02-2020, 11:22 AM
Private
Member's Gallery

https://www.powerstroke.org/threads/...#post-16407619

54cfm @.600" lift

No answer to my back cut on the valves..... That improves airflow under.400" lift and broadens your torque curve....
Old 06-02-2020, 12:30 PM
Private
Member's Gallery

meant to type in 54cfm added at .600" lift
Old 09-10-2020, 10:13 PM
Sergeant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hucorey View Post

Hey Corey, do you have any more info on the Aluminum Heads that we were discussing here? Would love to hear more about this.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage_Mechanic View Post
Back in the apex of 7.3 development Swamps did a dyno mule engine build where they actually did it the right way.... they made changes one at a time and dynoíd the results. Some changes they also tested NA and turbocharged. Every turbo engine is NA once per acceleration cycle (or multiple for stick shift).
The results of porting were definitely worthwhile and showed up both NA and turbo. Been years but I recall 50 hp at lower rpm. Overall more efficient with no down side. Old timers such as Charles and hotrodtractor will remember this.
Who are you calling old? Ironically I was just chatting with Chuckles last week about some irrigation issues he was having.

Quote:
Yes sir, it's a little infuriating that no one seems to have this info. I'll tell yah what fellas, If some one would build a set of bolt on Production Aluminum heads for this engine, I would jump on it. Sure prices would push to the 5-6K + with out a doubt, but I'd jump on it with out even thinking twice. Just my 2 cents.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Bill View Post
I agree aluminum heads would be nice but 5-6K is way low considering how small of a market it is and how much it costs to brink that kind of a product to production.
Quote:
Hey Corey, do you have any more info on the Aluminum Heads that we were discussing here? Would love to hear more about this.
Aluminum heads these days would be pretty easy, and you guys are in the right ballpark. Quite ironically I was just speaking with another "old-timer" a couple of weeks ago about something pretty similar along these lines...... In 2007 or so I started designing a new 7.3 PSD head - 4 valves per cylinder and CR injection. That design is roughly 80-90% of the way there and has been at that stage since about 2009/2010 - which is the last time I touched it. I discussed the merits of bringing the design up to today's modeling standards and potentially finishing it and open-sourcing it. Not sure if I will or not - the basic premise still involves a ton of work in the real world. It still needs a dual/triple CP3 front cover design, would need new pistons, custom length pushrods are easy. I went ahead and designed/utilized as many existing and off the shelf components as possible - although most of them are not originally found in anything with a blue oval on it.

I stopped simply because the costs were going to get out of hand.... but that was a decade ago and most of the components now are readily accessible, and since 3D printed sand casting has gone mainstream it is pretty cost-effective for low production parts and one-off castings. I get things cast in direct 3D printed sand on a pretty regular basis now.

No matter what - I'm not going to make any decisions or do any work on it until the current 7.3 project in my shop is finished for a friend and out the door and he is happy.

If its not broke - add power until it is.

RDRCM #45
Old 09-19-2020, 09:51 AM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Hotrodtractor
Got you on this thread didn’t I? ��
Old timer= someone who has been obsessed with 7.3’s longer than me!
Diesel Mechanic 40 yrs
Now 120 truck Fleet, 80 plus CNG powered
Old 09-21-2020, 08:24 PM
Mod Squad
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage_Mechanic View Post
Hotrodtractor
Got you on this thread didnít I? ��
Old timer= someone who has been obsessed with 7.3ís longer than me!
Being called an old-timer made me realize how long its been since I have been behind the wheel of a 7.3 going down the pulling track.... lol

If its not broke - add power until it is.

RDRCM #45
Old 09-27-2020, 08:36 PM
Lieutenant
Member's Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrodtractor View Post
Who are you calling old? Ironically I was just chatting with Chuckles last week about some irrigation issues he was having.

Aluminum heads these days would be pretty easy, and you guys are in the right ballpark. Quite ironically I was just speaking with another "old-timer" a couple of weeks ago about something pretty similar along these lines...... In 2007 or so I started designing a new 7.3 PSD head - 4 valves per cylinder and CR injection. That design is roughly 80-90% of the way there and has been at that stage since about 2009/2010 - which is the last time I touched it. I discussed the merits of bringing the design up to today's modeling standards and potentially finishing it and open-sourcing it. Not sure if I will or not - the basic premise still involves a ton of work in the real world. It still needs a dual/triple CP3 front cover design, would need new pistons, custom length pushrods are easy. I went ahead and designed/utilized as many existing and off the shelf components as possible - although most of them are not originally found in anything with a blue oval on it.

I stopped simply because the costs were going to get out of hand.... but that was a decade ago and most of the components now are readily accessible, and since 3D printed sand casting has gone mainstream it is pretty cost-effective for low production parts and one-off castings. I get things cast in direct 3D printed sand on a pretty regular basis now.

No matter what - I'm not going to make any decisions or do any work on it until the current 7.3 project in my shop is finished for a friend and out the door and he is happy.
If I only knew. I've been slowly working on a set too for the past 3yrs with a friend of mine. But I've got so much going on right now and hopefully this weekend I'm going to get some stuff moved to the new shop.

Going from 6500sqft to 67,000sqft.

Callies called me last week wanting to get together with some things too.

E99 CCLB 4X4 SRW F350,Billstein5100s,X-code front leafs, 35" Nitto TG's on 22" Incubus', GTP38R w/ WW2 140V Mod'd IDM, Billet intakes, AFE stg II CAI, 4" Diamond Eye T/B SS exh, BTS trans w/P.I. tc, 6.0L cooler, FF 250/200% SS's, ******** Stg I cam, CompCams 910 springs, Smith Bros HD push rods, Insight CTS, Forged bottom end, PHP Hydra, Firestone Airbags, All Amsoil fluids, Stealth 1.1 HPOP, ARP studs, My Modified Fuel System & HPOP lines, AGR steering gear