Ported heads.

Bmcgarvie

Reaction score
I've tried to do research on ported heads for these truck. What little I can find is most people say the stock cam and heads are good to 600hp? I'm wondering if with the new advancements in tuning and turbos if ported heads for someone in the sub 600 hp range is beneficial. I'm not looking at cost. Just the performance, drivability, or efficiency gains. Would love to hear what you guys got to say.

sootie

Reaction score
Minimal gains?!?!??!

The most often overlooked performance upgrade to a 7.3 is head work and cam. The fastest fuel only 7.3 didn't get there without it....

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I don't have first hand experience, but from what I've seen, it won't help much. But again, I'm no expert, just trying to redistribute info I've found as well.

sootie

Reaction score
I don't have first hand experience, but from what I've seen, it won't help much. But again, I'm no expert, just trying to redistribute info I've found as well.

So what have you seen? Post up track times or dyno graphs with a mod list from your own experience. Not trying to be a d!ck just i call out misinformation when i see it.

sootie

Reaction score
From a stock power truck up. If it's good for an 1300hp truck it's good for a 300hp truck. Efficiency is efficiency

hucorey

Reaction score
From a stock power truck up. If it's good for an 1300hp truck it's good for a 300hp truck. Efficiency is efficiency
This would be true as long as the person doing the port n polish job didn't screw them up.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

mtsnowrunner

Reaction score
Nate at RPM engines did a lot of them years ago and said it was about a 60HP gain and 10PSI drop. After talking to Corey at CNC fab he’s possibly going to do some and thinks the potential for a 600 hp daily driver tow rig that won’t break 1200 degrees is a possibility.

Reaction score
Back in the apex of 7.3 development Swamps did a dyno mule engine build where they actually did it the right way.... they made changes one at a time and dyno’d the results. Some changes they also tested NA and turbocharged. Every turbo engine is NA once per acceleration cycle (or multiple for stick shift).
The results of porting were definitely worthwhile and showed up both NA and turbo. Been years but I recall 50 hp at lower rpm. Overall more efficient with no down side. Old timers such as Charles and hotrodtractor will remember this.

Countrycar

Reaction score
BTW I don’t have chassis dyno results but on the engine dyno my engine did 460 hp and 1000 ft lbs with ported heads, SXE 364.5, Adrenalin and just 160/30’s.
Very impressive numbers. I've never had my truck on a dyno, but I hope to get up with Matt/GH this Summer and get'r done along with tuning to optimize the build. I also have PP heads but I'm not able to provide before and after for comparison, since I did a full build that included the PP heads.
It would be nice if someone could find those old Swamps Head PP threads. From some past threads and over the years, guys have been looking for these threads for 5 or more years now. Must of just disappeared. :) I think Corey mentioned in a recent thread of an old boy that is from or is now in California doing some great things on these heads, lets see what he turns up on this.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Carlos,
Like you I think that lost dyno mule info would be so valuable. About 5 years ago I took a run at finding it. Talked to Dave at Swamps, appearantly it was on a drive that crashed. Charles thought he had it but it was on a laptop that crashed. I ran out of time about there. Some old timer out there printed it or saved it. Just need to find it!

Countrycar

Reaction score
Yes sir, it's a little infuriating that no one seems to have this info. I'll tell yah what fellas, If some one would build a set of bolt on Production Aluminum heads for this engine, I would jump on it. Sure prices would push to the 5-6K + with out a doubt, but I'd jump on it with out even thinking twice. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Outlaw Bill

Reaction score
Yes sir, it's a little infuriating that no one seems to have this info. I'll tell yah what fellas, If some one would build a set of bolt on Production Aluminum heads for this engine, I would jump on it. Sure prices would push to the 5-6K + with out a doubt, but I'd jump on it with out even thinking twice. Just my 2 cents.
I agree aluminum heads would be nice but 5-6K is way low considering how small of a market it is and how much it costs to brink that kind of a product to production.

Latest posts

Members online