Bluetooth adapter for Torque/Car Gauge Pro

jschildm

Reaction score
I have bought a couple of the cheaper bluetooth units for monitoring, checking codes, recording data, buzz tests, etc. I haven't really had any significant issues with them until recently. When using torque to monitor information it works fine, but as soon as I go to record data, it makes the truck cut out.

I have successfully recorded data in the past, but I am not sure if it was with my original adapter or the one I am using now.

I was just curious what everyone is using and having success with. Also, is it potentially an issue with settings in the Torque app. I have turned off a couple things that I believe can cause issues, but not change.

It just seems strange its fine monitoring the data on a dashboard, but recording much of the same data causes issues.

Rico

Reaction score
Works great with my tablet

Attachments

• E8207388-3908-4A34-BE05-E91FD067B8B5.jpg
    E8207388-3908-4A34-BE05-E91FD067B8B5.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 68

jschildm

Reaction score
Quick update. I ordered an adapter from BAFX similar to the one linked. I got it through amazon for about $20, if I recall.

I started to record data and it seemed to function. The truck actually did die on me once while I was leaving a parking lot, but I fired it right back up and it worked fine the rest of the way home, while recording data the whole time. I am not sure what caused the issue, but it didn't happen again, so I believe this adapter will be fine for recording data.

I am not sure why my previous adapter would connect and could monitor PIDs on the dashboard just fine, but caused issues when recording data. Perhaps it increased the amount of data being transferred beyond what it could do without causing issues. It was a cheapish one off of ebay.

turboTwang6

Reaction score
Ive had OBS trucks die on me if I was messing around in torque changing out what sensors to read. Usually if I had everything set up prior to starting or driving the truck, and didn't change anything while driving, then I didn't have any problems.

The adapter I've used for 99% of my stuff was one of those cheapo ELM327 bluetooth ones from amazon. For what its worth, I bought the OBDLink MX Bluetooth, and I had more problems with that than I ever had with the ELM327 adapter.

superpsd

Reaction score
I have a few adapters but I mostly just use my OBDlink LX. Never had one issue with data logging.

jschildm

Reaction score
I have a mechanical gage for EGT, nothing through the adapter.

As another update .... I tried again yesterday and it died on me again. I started the truck back up, and started to leave the parking lot and it did again. I yanked it out and drove home.

I am going to mess with it again some today, hopefully, when I am leaving work. I am not sure if its related to the amount of things and frequency being recorded (only 1 Hz right now) or something else. I am going to see if I can figure out some common denominator.

jschildm

Reaction score
Another update .... I turned off "faster communication" in the options, and then also turned off some of the GPS data that I don't care about. The other thing I did was go to the home screen on my phone, so that torque was no longer displayed (with the idea that the dashboard may have been requiring additional data transfer). This combination worked, and the truck didn't die and recorded data for 25 minutes home.

At some point I might pull my old adapter out and see if it works with the same settings. I may also try to narrow down which one of these items seemed to solve the problem. I did want to follow up to update what did end up working for me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.