Emission laws and what's going on?!

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to explain what exactly the "new" enforced laws are for our trucks?
Just got back into a deisel (about a 5 year break)
My 12 was tuned, on a diet etc. Now no one will even explain anything over the phone.
You can email me, call me.... whatever. Owning a stock diesel is going to be pretty boring....

Rockinroy2

Reaction score
In VA, they test around DC, it that’s about it from what I’ve read...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

OuchThatHurt

Reaction score
I'm military so my vehicles are register in alaska. (Last duty station) sorry, I guess my real question is how would a person go about getting a weight loss tune? Or... are the 100hp tunes (emissions intact) ok? Wouldnt they burn up dpr/egr?

PSDJunky

Reaction score
So, what's new is that we used to have the option to select or agree to "off-road use" & that's no longer allowed. But, look to Canada for your weight loss programs, if you so choose. I suspect emissions-on tuning could get okay, especially if the fuggin EPA loosens their parameter restrictions at least a lil bit, before too terribly much longer. But, I ain't holdin my breath, with those ass-hats at the helm. There's also plug-n-play modules you could look into for a lil mo powa & pedal lag reduction/elimination, which leave no footprint (for warranty) & are emissions friendly.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Pretty much anything will leave a foot print of some sort. I wouldny suggest any emissions on tuning. You will have *** issues up the wazoo.

live life full throttle

superpsd

Reaction score
If you want to stay legal wait for them to refine the intact tuning. Most of the big names are refining the legal tuning to add power without clogging the ***. PPEI, ATS, Banks and others have been investing in testing equiptment so they can dial in tuning and stay within legal limits and I think some are talking about even CARB certified tuning. As long as the emissions stuff stays intact I'm sure thats enough to keep the EPA off everyones back. You can make substantial more power without clogging the ***. It just takes advanced knowlege of how to tune hotter and keep everything within limit. Thats where fueling timing and adjustments are critical. Like one issue is NOX. When you advance timing you increase cylinder pressure the temperature goes up and you increase NOX production which will take much more DEF to scrub the NOX. By increasing EGR flow while adding timing they can lower cylinder temperature and keep NOX in check.

sootie

Reaction score
Banks is 50 state carb compliant.
Used to not be a fan of his stuff. Actually watching his videos of what he does and how he does it has changed my mind.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

One of the biggest douche canoes alive. His product isnt worth the stickers on it,

superpsd

Reaction score
First of all Banks dosen't support the ford platform much. Second he doesn't even do custom tuning. The derringer modules do not tune the PCM. They intercept the feedback sensor signals and trick the computer into adding more performance. No different than what he did in the past for the ford stuff. He is a smart guy and has done well for himself. As for going with a wide open exhaust it's still happening they already have 2020s on the diet program. For many though keeping emissions intact while increasing performance will likely be the majority of the future tuning market. The videos by ATS cover tuning a emmissions intact engine well. I know ATS does not have much love either with the Ford crowds but what he is saying in these videos is highly informative to those who may want to take a whack at tuning emissions on.
https://youtu.be/IQJJU3qjsF0
https://youtu.be/pa-cv2saVvM
https://youtu.be/AD5MikBriMQ

Last edited:

79jasper

Reaction score
Correct, it's a "fooler," not a tune.
It's just interesting to see more companies doing *** on tuning. Sure, you can gain more power by removing it, but for the people in the areas with testing, it could be a good option. The systems seem to be getting better. We have a 14 ram at work, 200k+ miles, so far the only issue has been a NOX sensor.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Lt.Dan

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he owns a 2019 F250 himself, so maybe he'll start getting into the Ford community more and more?

superpsd

Reaction score
I highly doubt it. Duramax platform is his bread and butter. He supplys Duramax engines of his specifications to the military for the new Oshkosh. JLTVs. I doubt you will see much more than what is already offered for the Fords. They don't even tune the L5P duramax engines. Again just a derringer offered. They use their own stand alone for the military and customer specific duramax builds. I have respect for him and he is intelligent but none of his products interest me and not a fan of him belittling other tuners.
His cash cow is not the public...
https://youtu.be/lflfJJfNdtU

Last edited:

Erikclaw

Reaction score
EPA are over reaching a holes. They have been ****ing over shops like mad. A few friends have had huge fines laid on them, pay or gfy..