Dump trailers - Dual ram or scissor?

UpstateDieselGuy

Reaction score
Since you mention stability with a single telescopic. Just this past week I watched a tandem dump truck try to dump while leaning slightly. When the dumbass realized he was going to go over, he put the bed down and crushed his hydraulic reservoir that was located in the doghouse.

I will point out that every single axle dump truck I've seen has had a scissor dump. There's a reason for that.

Understandable, but at that point it's too late. If you are leaning, you are leaning no matter what it is. There's a huge difference between a single axle dump length and a tandem though.

Zmann

Reaction score
Talk about manufacturers snake oil.......

Any body ever see a cat loader with a single hydraulic cylinder to lift the main boom? Yea I didn't think so..

not that I care about dual or single
but what u mention is simply a design constraint not an endorsement for duals IMO the chassis is in the way to mount a single there is plenty of pressure on the bucket itself also and plenty use a single ram there

K2087.jpg

mikeeg02

Reaction score
not that I care about dual or single
but what u mention is simply a design constraint not an endorsement for duals IMO the chassis is in the way to mount a single there is plenty of pressure on the bucket itself also and plenty use a single ram there

K2087.jpg

Im sure if you checked with the engineers that designed it that way, there would be way more to the story then that. MBA's also have something to do with it. Its not like they dont manufacture the chassis around the work it does, they could build that chassis any way they needed to be. That machine is built to dig. Think about the break out force needed when scraping out rocks. Now think about it when its only on one side of the bucket. With a single ram, your hinges, and steel where the hinges are mounted need to be significantly stronger if they are taking all of the twisting force when digging from one side. Now if your lift is also supporting the bucket, You take stress off the hinge. But I dont think we need to get into heavy equipment design theory.

But, if they wanted to put a single ram on one side. They could have.

Regardless, that ad from big tex trailers is manufacturers snake oil because they dont use duals, and want to make it sound like its a poor design, and when buying a dump trailer, I would be more interested in knowing the ACTUAL lift capacity, more then caring about what design the hydraulics used.

Zmann

Reaction score
Don't mind Atsah he is Dual Ram lover

Eww

and who is retarded ?
apparently you want to load your trailer all to one side so you can tweak the frame ? LOL

" they could build that chassis any way they needed to be"
cost plays a factor and typically the Power plant and operators platform is center stage the rest is built around as seen here (doesn't take an MBA ( or referring to someone with one) to see why dual cyl are used in some areas and singles in other

bhl-offer-image.jpg

Last edited:

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Actually, if you read what I wrote. I dont have a preference in the hydraulics. But I do have experience. Which is what I have presented. As for loading one side and "tweaking" the frame, I was refering to heavy machinery and why it is a viable answer to use two rams. I specifically wrote I would be more interested in the lifting capacity then the hydraulic assembly.

Again, I just dislike the way that particular manufacturer presented that information, to make them look better than another because they dont use a particular design.

And while it doesnt take an MBA to see something, it took rounds and rounds of engineers arguing with the MBA's to settle on a design, at a price point.

Zmann

Reaction score
Ok then with that explanation I digress
and agree ;-)

I am not biased either

the ratio of single to dual ram dumps seems to favor the single ? at least on google and ten minutes spent
but then again their are multiple types of single many large units use the staged

RSK

Reaction score
My bri mar 7x14hd 14kgvw is dual 3" telescoping piston. Never had an issue and it gets used 3-4 days a week and always loaded heavy, gone over scales at 26-28,000lbs and truck and trailer empty is 11-12k

TyCorr

Reaction score
None if these designs have much to do with the engineer. Talk to the accountant. The only place where the engineers get what yhey want is power production, bridge design, and cranes.

All others, you'll get a jewed over fiscal summary if what the engineer designed and spec'd.

sootie

Reaction score
whoever is comparing hydraulic design from a several hundred thousand dollar piece of machinery to a ten thousand dollar dump trailer is retarded.

we build all that kind of crap in house and scissor takes it hands down. The next best thing is front mount telescopic. (lots more goes into the entire design of the unit than just changing the cylinder design fyi)

i have never seen parallel hydraulic rams on a dump trailer ever. if more weight is on one side, it can push oil to the other cylinder causing major twist and maybe ever a roll over scenario. Most dump trailers have an ultra simple power pack/valve/manifold setup. Not ever comparable to an engineered hyd circuit on a machine.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
I mean, you can say what you want. Bri-Mar is one manufacturer that makes 'em that way. My uncle has had one a very long time. We have used the absolute sh!t out of it over the years. Its a 14k rated trailer.

But again, Im not getting into a pissing match about this. The picture representation of what is "right" and "not right" is again, manufacturer/salesman bullsh!t.

And I still refer to my original statement. I dont care what method of dump hoist it uses. Just what the hoist is rated to lift.

And likewise, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just like you are yours. And the reason for the comparison to heavy machinery was because they are built to lift and dig. And utilize hydraulics. Showing the manufacturers claims to be futile and foolish.

bcc5dd0f0a0d02b70025bd5640848e95.jpg

Now you have.

Atsah

Reaction score
I have known many people with these types of trailers, everyone has them up here for one reason or another and whether it be a single ram, double ram or scissor lift I have never heard anyone say it doesn't work like it should.. If I was in the market for one and one came up, any of the talked about lift mechanisms would not deter me from buying it..

If I was buying new. my choice would be double ram first, scissor second single third..

Comparing construction equipment to these consumer units is a little ridiculous but it is Zmann comparing them so it's to be expected.. :D

BKopp

Reaction score
I bought a Texas pride 7x16 gooseneck 16k a little over a month ago and it has dual ram and Its done just fine. I've had 7 tons in it already and it dumped it.

For $7500 new it does what I need and is paying for itself. After I got it I wondered how I got along without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

RSK

Reaction score
I bought a Texas pride 7x16 gooseneck 16k a little over a month ago and it has dual ram and Its done just fine. I've had 7 tons in it already and it dumped it.

For $7500 new it does what I need and is paying for itself. After I got it I wondered how I got along without it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Exactly, as long as you have dexter axles i doubt you are going to have any issues... My trailer probably has over 50,000 miles on it in the 3 years i've owned it and its fine, dumped this pile of 14' oak logs no issues. And that was a heavy load...
7BE3519C-8FE4-4F80-A4F3-93BFBFDFB7E2_zpsj2zkovjw.jpg

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The Brimar 14k, 14' trailer my uncle has, has been loaded like that several times. Same thing, no complaints, always dumped when loaded heavy with oak logs. The slowest I remember was when it was full of 2RC stone.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Lots of good info and reading here. I believe I will be going with the twin ram, for the cost difference I can't justify going to a scissor lift. It'll be used mainly for my personal use also.

therabbittree

Reaction score
Scissor lift for sure. If you can find one a front telescopic is awesome. Some custom builds have em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online