F26E Tank In OBS

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
Ive seen this done several times, pretty straight forward.

Had one main question.

Everyone talks about modifying the stock fuel sender float arm and re-using it. I kinda figure if im in there, why not replace it all.

Seeing as how this tank came factory in the 80's trucks, wouldnt it make sense that i could order the fuel sender for the older truck and use that and it would work perfectly. Ive noticed people use the bronco one with no issues so i dont think its a gas vs diesel issue.

Just figuring if i can get a new sending unit i wouldnt need to worry about pulling the bed off again any time soon.

old man dave

Reaction score
I measured both the factory and Jeff's aftermarket 33 gallon senders at 16-160 ohms. The factory sender float arm travel is 5-1/2" and the Jeff's is 12-1/2" (travel center to center of float). Jeff's aftermarket sender only p/n 30256A

The factory rear tank is 7-7/8" deep.
Bronco 33 gallon tank is 15-3/4" deep.
F26E 38 gallon tank is 12-3/4" deep.

The factory and Jeff's senders mount similarly except that the Jeff's has a larger guide pin hole. Plastic clips are the same. Should interchange after enlarging the stock guide pin hole.

The float arms in both units just clip into place so you could just change float arms except the Jeff's unit is $76 including shipping.

You can just bend up a replacement float arm out of brazing rod for a cheap solution. The stock float is held in place with a clip. Looks like the factory allows for about 2"-3" clearance for the float.

You need to extend the stock fuel pickup tube about 4-7/8" using 3/8" tubing and a 3/8" compression coupling. Also need a replacement tank sender gasket.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1990-1996-Ford-Bronco-Sending-Unit-Float-33-Gallon/productinfo/30256A/

Bpth floats are in the down position.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 56
Last edited:

old man dave

Reaction score
I measured both the factory and Jeff's aftermarket 33 gallon senders at 16-160 ohms. The factory sender float arm travel is 5-1/2" and the Jeff's is 12-1/2" (travel center to center of float). Jeff's aftermarket sender only p/n 30256A

The factory rear tank is 7-7/8" deep.
Bronco 33 gallon tank is 15-3/4" deep.
F26E 38 gallon tank is 12-3/4" deep.

The factory and Jeff's senders mount similarly except that the Jeff's has a larger guide pin hole. Plastic clips are the same. Should interchange after enlarging the stock guide pin hole.

The float arms in both units just clip into place so you could just change float arms except the Jeff's unit is $76 including shipping.

You can just bend up a replacement float arm out of brazing rod for a cheap solution. The stock float is held in place with a clip. Looks like the factory allows for about 2"-3" clearance for the float.

You need to extend the stock fuel pickup tube about 4-7/8" using 3/8" tubing and a 3/8" compression coupling. Also need a replacement tank sender gasket.

RockAuto did not list a sender for the F26E tank, the tank is listed under 1988 F250 5.6 (351) truck with 38 gallon tank.

http://shop.broncograveyard.com/1990-1996-Ford-Bronco-Sending-Unit-Float-33-Gallon/productinfo/30256A/

old man dave

Reaction score
Here's a picture comparing both units. Both floats are in the down position.

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73

Latest posts

Members online