Leaky moon roofs

broncobilly_69

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 15 to 16 F350 and have always tried to stay away from moon/sunroofs due to leaking issues down the road. Seems like all the lariats I see have a moon roof. How many of you guys are having issues with your moon/sunroofs? Are there Lariats out there that didn't come with a moon roof?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highroller54

Reaction score
They have 4 drains in the roof so even if the seal leaks a bit it just goes on the ground. I love my sunroof in my truck but it did break its self somehow and need replaced when it bound up and broke plastic pieces lol.

JRLott

Reaction score
Yes there are Lariats without the hole in the roof. I have one. Probably not the norm, though.

Jomax

Reaction score
I have a lariat without a sunroof. I wish I had one though. But I heard they sound like it's going to eject when going fast..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
They have 4 drains in the roof so even if the seal leaks a bit it just goes on the ground. I love my sunroof in my truck but it did break its self somehow and need replaced when it bound up and broke plastic pieces lol.

Mine broke too. Had to the replace the rail assembly, $2200!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
mine will not be open after 40 mph. It gets loud, a weird thumping. I also don't have one of those gay visor things for sunroof either.

open the rear windows and leave fronts up on highway, similiar sound.... however I dont like the windows down after 55mph. sucks getting old. (36) lol

I would have drove 100 mph ten years ago in my excursion with windows down. Guess it being pretty much stock doesn't scream hey ladies either!?!?

on a positive note the stereo shop says the roof is actually way more braced with the sunroof... I actually figured it was weaker. My buddy says it flexes way less with the sunroof than a non sunroof

BigRed97

Reaction score
Sunroof open with rear slider open and side windows up....zero wind noise, and none of that awful thumping@ 70-75mph

Highroller54

Reaction score
Mine broke too. Had to the replace the rail assembly, $2200!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I bought a kit online that comes with just the pieces that break. They are oem pieces not some aftermarket junk but the job kinda sucked. Pull the seats, console, interior trim panels, take the headliner out that doesn't fit out the door worth a **** then remove the sunroof. Cost me about 150.00 but killed a weekend. Could easily do it in a day but I did some other things as well. Got a price from ford and you needed to buy a complete assembly.

gnxtc2

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a 15 to 16 F350 and have always tried to stay away from moon/sunroofs due to leaking issues down the road. Seems like all the lariats I see have a moon roof. How many of you guys are having issues with your moon/sunroofs? Are there Lariats out there that didn't come with a moon roof?

I believe the Lariat Ultimate package includes the sunroof. I really don't care for it as it's something else to break but the gf likes it. :fustrate: To get the same options as the Ultimate package w/o the sunroof, each item had to be ordered separately.

I bought a kit online that comes with just the pieces that break. They are oem pieces not some aftermarket junk but the job kinda sucked. Pull the seats, console, interior trim panels, take the headliner out that doesn't fit out the door worth a **** then remove the sunroof. Cost me about 150.00 but killed a weekend. Could easily do it in a day but I did some other things as well. Got a price from ford and you needed to buy a complete assembly.

Would you have the part numbers or link were you got them from?

Billy T.
[email protected]

BIG JUICE

Reaction score
Sunroof open with rear slider open and side windows up....zero wind noise, and none of that awful thumping@ 70-75mph

I just tried that, I have a new bed cover so the dirt doesn't blow back in from bed. It actually works well! learn something everyday! thanks

Highroller54

Reaction score
I believe the Lariat Ultimate package includes the sunroof. I really don't care for it as it's something else to break but the gf likes it. :fustrate: To get the same options as the Ultimate package w/o the sunroof, each item had to be ordered separately.

Would you have the part numbers or link were you got them from?

Billy T.
[email protected]

Www.sunroofdoctor.com

They sell on eBay as well. There is a few companies out there but they are who I used.

Latest posts

Members online